Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Vertical Reinforcement of Coupled Shear Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshearstud

Structural
Jun 8, 2011
US
ACI 318_11, Section 11.9.9.4 gives equation 11-30 for required vertical shear reinforcement. In that equation, the term h_w is used. H_w in that section is said to be taken as "overall height of wall". But in Chapter 2_Notation and Definitions, h_w is taken as "..clear height of wall segment or pier". If you have coupled shear walls, should h_w be taken as the pier height, or the overall building height?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The commentary implies that it is the overall wall height that determines the effectiveness of the horizontal reinforcement to resist shear. ACI 318-08 defines hw as the height of the entire wall from base to top or height of segment considered.. Seems like you should be using the overall height.

Similarly, I vote for:

Overall Wall Height / Length of Wall Pier.

Basically, you just look at any contiguous rectangular wall panel and evaluate that panel based on those dimensions.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back