Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vertical Slide Clip for Wood Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mck26

Structural
Oct 2, 2012
US
Why is there not a widespread product for a vertical slide clip to attach wood balloon framed walls to floors? This connection is very common in the metal stud industry.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Simpson and mitek both make vertical slide clips. without looking i think it is DTC/STC clips primarily used for trusses (long spans results in larger deflection)

Why not widespread... only opinions prevail. I think since wood is used so much for residential their is layers of unaccounted load sharing where non-bearing walls are loaded and clips cost money. plus they have been building that way for 30 years and haven't used them yet...

Yes I have seen the truss clips. Not exactly what I am looking for. I have projects with deep TJI joist floor framing spanning 20-30 feet, where deflection should be accounted for in the bypassing studs.

Balloon framing popularity is one reason. It has become less popular over the years for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with labor and materials costs. Balloon framing for wood is more expensive than platform framing. For metal studs, the difference in cost is less prominent, but an 18' 2x wood stud is a lot more expensive than a 9' 2x.

As (I think) Ron suggested, the main reason for baloon framing was to eliminate one double plate line, a single plate line, and the floor joist, with the associated shrinkage deflection, an important consideration in multi story wood structures. Became less popular with the introduction of engineered wood products.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

It is also really easy to fasten a ledger to studs without the let-in. Hanger the joists to the ledger -done. Blocking, edge fastening and load capacity all in one. The only missing part is to say how many fasteners to attach the ledger with. Might suggest a strap tie.

But yeah, Balloon framing is a lost technique and usually only specified as a deliberate situation/config where it is unavoidable. Long and straight studs are not in the lumber yard for a good price.

I guess it leads to a curiosity question: why are you balloon framing? 20'-26' not too unusual a span at 14"-16" joists (More than that and I am using trusses). With longer spans I would want the platform framing anyway I would think just from a logistical and safety standpoint if I was the framer. Maybe you are doing something we don't consider normal. My understanding a vertical slide clip is used where the floor is structurally independent of the wall and the wall is backed up by the floor -a la curtain walls. Don't see that in light frame wood structure much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back