Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vertical spindle, reciprocating table surface grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirledpeas

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2011
US
Does anyone still make such an animal? I've spent an hour with Google and have only found very small machines.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Blanchards are rotary table. I am looking for a grinder with a vertical spindle like a blanchard, but with a reciprocating table like 90% of all surface grinders. Mattison used to make them, but I haven't been able to locate any new Mattisons. I assume they have gone out of business like so many other high quality machine tool builders.

I could swear I've seen big Blanchard brand grinders with segmented rotary heads and reciprocating tables. ... but I haven't seen a new one in decades.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

That is a possibility. I will check into it. I know Thompson used to manufacture them as well, but I can't find anything even close to new.

Thanks,

Bob

Lumsden also used to manufacture them but I don’t think they still do. There is a company in Norfolk UK that sells used ones and reconditions them and has all part drawings etc.

I am sure I can find a link if that is any help.

You maybe able to use this type Swisher Grinder for your
application.

Mark VI

We had a shop built hybrid made with a Swisher very similar to the one shown in the link below. If I recall the table was from a G&l surface grinder. This hybrid lasted for years seeing 20 + hours use per week.

per week grinding segmented blades for pelletizers.

Mattison Surface Grinder
Big old good one in the link below.

Mattison as well as others also made bar grinders. These have reciprocating tables. Mattison also makes a Blanchard look a like.

The original grinders of this type were call Hanchetts and then Madison Hanchetts.

I don't know if they are still in business but Snow in the UK used to make a good one -- on a practical basis yo might want to buy a used one and have it rebuilt to your specs.

Thanks to all for your responses. You all pretty much confirm what I suspected. If a Mattison type grinder is what I want, I will have to purchase a rebuilt, or a used one and have it rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back