Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very different result between 2D and axisymetric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke720

Materials
Mar 26, 2013
US
Hi,

I'm working on an impact problem with a sphere hitting a deformable substrate. I did it first with and axisymetric model and I got results that look good/expected. No I want to add complexity that rules out an axisymetric approach, so I tried to recreate what I have so far in 2D.

The trouble is, the deformation that I'm getting in 2D is much different than in axisymetric and I don't know why. The spherical particle is deforming less and the substrate is deforming more. I used the same temperatures, velocity, and material definitions.

Anybody run into this before? Or does a possible source of this error spring to mind? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How do you model a sphere in 2D? Are you sure you're not in fact modelling a solid cylinder which would be stiffer and such give lower deformation in the 'sphere' and greater deformation in the substrata?

I bet that's it! Now I feel dumb but that would explain things. Thank you.

Is there a way to make it assume that a circle in 2D is a sphere and not a cylinder? I guess it's probably just in the part creation options, I should be able to figure it out but I wont have access to ABAQUS until Monday.

Thanks!

An axisymmetric model is 2D, with dimensions in R and Z. Your sphere is represented in 2D by an axisymmetric model of a 180 degree segment of the sphere in the positive Radial direction. Of course you wouldn't be able to move the sphere in impact so your only choice is a 3D model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back