Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very general advice sought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWard

Industrial
Nov 7, 2001
GB
Nebulous question time...

OK. I'm not a PM, but I'm about to enter into a project where I'll need to utilise some PM skills.

The scenario:
We're a small engineering company about to embark on out largest project yet, whereby we will build ourselves a new factory. To do this involves building part of the new factory, relocating some parts of our company into the new building and the rest into temporary accomodation, dmolishing the existing buildings the relocating everything back into the completed new building. Pain in the butt really.

Me:
Not a PM...
(Not a whole bunch of qualifications actually, but you takes what you've got!)
I'm the "technical manager" which means I look after the production machinery and fabric of the building.

The largest project I've "managed" to date involved many trades, local utilities, foreign suppliers etc.
All went swimmingly apart from the one major company (a supplier) who let me down badly regarding assembling some plant on site.
It only got sorted when I got hold of their MD's mobile and threatened to take an angle grinder to the equipment and relocate it to the car park if they didn't pull their fingers out.
I don't like doing that (though it worked), and was surprised to be let down by a "large company" rather that local tradesmen etc.

Now, we have professional architects etc, but a lot is about to descend onto my shoulders, so I just wondered if there were any general pointers/ hard won advice/ definite no-no's that I could be made aware of...

(ANY advice would be gratefully received...)

Many thanks in advance

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like you may have numerous ways to look at how to organize and run this project. My approach would be to take a look at what you need to do in order to keep cash flowing ie. minimize the time that you will be unable to take on and fulfill business. For many companies, that means the computer system. Try to bring it down and move it only once if possible. The parts of the business that can be run remotely without a lot of intervention can be moved first. If you have standard type products, build up a reserve inventory that you can draw from.

From the actual demolition and building side I have insufficent experience to give advice other than to try to have the infrastructure/utilities you need in place before you cover it with concrete, drywall etc.

Good luck.

It is hard to determine the project size and complexity from your posting however below are some tips that may be useful. Feel free to keep/use/disregard.

Start and maintain a project log. This book will become you most valuable tool during the course of the project. It should contain COPIES of the following critical documents:

Scope of Work

Budget

Schedule

Look ahead's (depending on project size/complexity, this would list all activities scheduled to occur in the next week/ two weeks/ month (whatever timeframe is appropriate)

Key purchasing documents (this will keep the vendor promises/commitments right at your fingertips)

Names and contact info for all project participants

Get in the habit of writing down the day to day commitments/agreements that are made and any minute/notes from daily meetings. It will help later when the mud starts flying.

If you want to get fancy (and the project requires this type of effort) you can track productivity, staffing and expenditures

These are just a few, you will develop your favorites as the work progresses.

Good Luck and remember, you are not the first one (or last one) down this road.

jjf

Hey Rob,

Here are some "Nebulous" thoughts.

Large companies can make mistakes, and cause delays, problems, etc. as well as the small company, or a single tradesman. You need to supervise/manage the large guys as much as the little guys. The amount of time you worry over a company should correlate to the scope they have, the importance of what they are doing (relative to the schedule), and of course, the dollar amount.

Get the contract to be as complete as possible. Get your lawyer involved. If things go south, at least the lawyer will have had a bit of a head start.

You should be actively involved on a day-to-day basis, so that you understand all the day-to-day issues. These are the same issues that may escalate into a BIG issue down the road. Most problems usually start small. If you can fix them early, you will most likely fix a small problem. If not, well they grow.

Communicate. With everyone. Have daily, weekly, monthly meetings as appropriate. Communicate the contents of the meetings to everyone - not just the managers, supervisors, leads, but everyone. You can post the meeting minutes on your intranet so everyone is "in the loop". You will need to edit the posting to eliminte the finger pointing and flame wars - just the news.

One final note. BBQ's. The trades love them - well, so do I. I think once a month is very reasonable.

Up here, the food / frequency usually goes:
coffee & donuts - whenever a "manager" or contractor visits.
pizza - lunch on the last day of rotation
BBQ - monthly

We also had a Christmas party on one job - it was a loooong job - too, and that went over well. I think the company Santa gave out company pens, mag lite (the AA ones) and a belt buckle to everyone.

Thank you all for the responses.

I'm hoping the construction company (who are also the architects) will co-ordinate most of the major trades, but some of our more esoteric suppliers will have to be organised, by me I think.

I think documenting meetings and decisions is a very good idea, nd I'l have to rty to do that.

It's not a big project in actual terms, but for such a small company as us, it is very large indeed.

I don't think we can do BBQ's. It's not a nice site, and I suspect the local Health and Safety oficer would prohibit it.
Seriously..
They are quite mad. They wanted to ban us rom providing pedestal fans to the workforce last summer in the blazing heat because "they could blow things into their eyes" so an open fire and food not cooked in a sterile room would probably give them fits.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. They'll have to make do with tea and biscuits.

Rob

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Keep your architect involved during the project. have the general contractor develop a CPM schedule. As has been said several times before, write every thing down, CC everyone involved if you use email. Oh, and use email.

Ashereng:
The site is in the north of England.
(Don't want to be too specific for fear of upsetting anyone). We tried to buy an existing building but could find one that'd do. Then we tried to buy some land nearby, so we can keep the workforce, but couldn't find any. So we're having to do a phased build and demolish, and stay on the existing site. Long term there are advantages, but short term it's going to be a freekin' nightmare.

I shall follow the advice and document as much as possible. The architects are very helpful and send us the minutes from any meetings we have, an I'll try to emulate that with all the suppliers I'll be dealing with.

It's going to be a long hard year next year....

RobWard,

As this is a UK project (and I'm assuming you're from the US) you will need to be come familiar with contracting styles in your location.

In addition to the advise already offered you should consider purchasing a CEMMS contracting book (I think it's available on-line through Telford Publishing in the UK)

You should also consider talking to a Quantity Surveyor, he/she can help you with your contracting strategy.

jjf

Thank you everyone.
It's funny, at times it all seems like a big exciting adventure that we're heading into.
Other times it seems like a deep dark abyss....

I shall document, document and document everything, and I think we'll have to really communicate with all trades and importantly with all of each of us here so we all know where we're up to (our necks in doo-doo), where we're going ( sh*t creek), and what needs to be done (blame everyone else and paddle furiously)...

(Joking)

The architects seem quite happy for us to lean on them a lot, but there's a limit to how much they can do, particularly with regards to plant and equipment requirements.

(Also apologies for my spelling in previous posts. New laptop and the keys are stickier than Sticky the stick-insect who got stuck on a sticky bun....)

Happy new year everyone, and, "Thanks!"

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back