Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Very Tall Wood Framed Buildings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can build high performance aircraft largely out of the stuff why not buildings?

Simplistically I'd think durability related issues given the likely longevity would be one of the biggest concerns along with fire risks as briefly mentioned in the article..

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

urgross, have you any idea how hard it is for me to not make a smutty comment now.

No fair, no fair.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

With all the envelope problems deteriorating wood members, rot could be a real issue in a tall structure if the enclosure is not sealed correctly, especially at the lower levels where the carpenter ants start.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Carpenter ants and termites, swelling and shrinkage with humidity and moisture, and fire safety had previously limited the wood structures to 2 stories + attic.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

It's CLT panels. They aren't building skyscrapers out of them anytime soon. I believe in parts of Canada (ontario and BC for sure) you're allowed to do wood frame up to 6 stories now.

The new NBCC is supposed to be allowing up to 6 storeys but it hasn't been adopted in my jurisdiction yet. Currently we're limited to 4.

Wood timber framed.

Work fine, last long time.

URL]

Indeed they do, but I think you have to make a distinction between timber framing, whether ancient or modern,
and stick-building with graded matchsticks cut from trees that are farmed on a very short cycle
and harvested before they have any 'clear' content.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Way back in 1900 there were a series of major fires that demolished several cities ( primarily wood structures) , including Chicago and Seattle. Prior to that there was the London fire. Following those disasters , cities switched to brick construction , or wood with slate roofs. In addition to the CLT panels, I would guess that cities would require sprinklers + fire resistant siding and roofing .

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

It is physically possible erect that structure. What is the demolition method for 100 story wooden sky scrapers? I think it would be short sighted to build a structure like that without a built in way to bring it down into its own footprint. Just fly a 747 into it about 3/4 way up?

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

We could make this environmentally friendly by building the main structural components with live trees. It also makes sense from a financial perspective as your building would physically grow.

Here's how it works.
- Plant trees at 4 corners of proposed building location
- Wait for trees to grow and gain structural value (do other tasks to keep busy throughout the waiting time)
- Create deck-like platform bridging the trees near the top
- Fill the platform with pot soil
- Plant trees in the 4 corners of that platform
- Repeat starting at step #2

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back