Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vessel Support Design on 3 Saddles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipseng

Chemical
Nov 3, 2003
US
Hi
I'm looking for proper design of a horizontal tank on 3 saddle supports. I'm familiar w/ LP Zick Analysis but that only gives design for two supports. Any help appreciated

ipseng

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most vessels have two supports because any settlement of the supporting structure does not change the distribution of the load to each saddle. Extremely long vessels use multipe supports and the support reactions are computed as with continuous beams. These reactions are normally increased by 20-50 percent to compensate for potential differential settling of multiple supports.
K. p. Singh "An approximate analysis of fondation stresses in horizontal pressure vessels" ASME PUBLICATION PAPER NO. 79-NE-1, 1979

Thanks fsi

Q's:
using the continuous beam theory ie) from AISC ASD Beam Design Formulas(pg.2-312) would you use the uniform load with 3 supports and add the overhang load to the outer ones and then tack on the 20-50% of result? Is there a simplified version to these support reactions? I can't seem to find any loading diagrams for this specific case.
Any ideas?

It is not that simple.
see if you can find the following articles.
K. p. Singh "An approximate analysis of fondation stresses in horizontal pressure vessels" ASME PUBLICATION PAPER NO. 79-NE-1, 1979

call Holtec International
ask them to send you a copy of this paper:
"An Approximate Analysis of Foundation Stresses in Horizontal Pressure Vessels", (with Vincent Luk), Paper No. 79-NE-1, Trans. ASME, Journal of Engineering for Power, Vol. 102, No. 3, pp 555-557, July, 1980.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back