Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vibration, acceleration meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleksandar

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2003
CA
I am looking for a some sofisticated Vibration meter (to measure Displacement, Velocity, Acceleration)with calbles or infra red-wireless. Application is Centrifugal pump industry-HVAC.

Thanks,

Aleksandar Kamenov-Pump Eng
SA Armstrong Ltd
Toronto

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try contacting Bentley Nevada. If it makes sense to monitor it, then BN can monitor it. Note I say, "if it makes sense" becuase all too often, people want to monitor data points that tell you absolutely nothing about what is happening with the pump - for example, an accelerometer on the bearing housing of a pump with sleeve bearings...

Regards,
Tim S.

Contact Bently Nevada at . They are the world's top experts in vibration system hardware, software, data storage and analysis and reporting. They provide consulting services, field services for B-N products and can solve any problem with anything that rotates.

I recently performed vibe analysis on an 11 stage vertical pump motor. The lower motor bearing showed high "PeakVue" amplitudes with a raised baseline and almost no repeatable data in the time signal. Also, high frequency vibration (to 10Khz) was at 10 G's. When the pump was inspected, we found that the stuffing box bushing had galled to the shaft and was spinning in the stuffing box. Originally thought it was a lower motor bearing. "PeakVue" is a CSI demodulation technique that is designed to pick up metal to metal contact events. We are having good success with this technique.

tstead, You are correct though in stating that accelerometers monitoring a sleeve bearing pump from the motor are ineffective. Just one case seen here does not change that. Few organizations will spend the money to properly monitor a multi-stage vertical pump with sleeve bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back