Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vibration analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladem

Structural
Oct 31, 2001
US
looking for a good approximate method for analyzing foundation for vibrating equipment on soil. specifically resonant frequencies and amplitudes. anyone know of a good reference on the above

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of the best references that i am aware for this subject is Soil dynamics by Prakash. There is an entire chapter dedicated to machine foundations.

You can use rule of thumb such as:
weight of footing / weight of machine = 2 -5 depending on the type of machine (centrifugal or receprocating).

Alternatively, you can perform a detailed dynamic analysis of a footing using British Standards CP???? sorry the number escapes me at present.

There is also a textbook by Suresh and Arya on the topic.

HTH!

I use the books "Dynamics in Civil Engineering" ( 5 vol. ) by Alexander Major and "Analysys and Desgin of Foundations for Vibrations", by P. J. Moore, both from A. A. Balkema ed.

references:
Novak,M. State of the art in analysis and Design Of Machine Foundations,Soil structure interaction.Elsevier Science Publications,1987:171-192

Gazetas,G. Analysis of ,machine Foundation Vibrations:State of art,soil Dynamics and Eartiquake Engineering.CML Publications,Vol.2.1.1983:2-42

Design of machine foundations by SRINIVASALLU djangra

If you would like to isolate the vibrations you have a simple way presented in pages 46 to 52 of book Dynamic of Structures, Ray W. Clough and Joseph Penzien, McGraw-Hill editions

Shear strength parallel to the bolt according to the strength of the concrete and the bonding material (such as epoxy).
Tensile force on the bolt also limited by the cone fracture strength of the concrete, and influenced by any steel reinforcement in the concrete.
Hilti and Ramset and others have design data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back