Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vibration conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannypons

Structural
Jul 31, 2003
US
how do i convert a vibration reading in dB and G's to Hz? This is reading of the floor slab on grade.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thank you for clarifying that. however i have a client who would like to convert the vibration reading in G's to dB. is there an equation to convert such G number to dB.

Not without some reference level. dB is a ratio relative to some reference value. g is a reference to 9.8 m/s[sup]2[/sup].

TTFN

For acceleration levels I have always used 10^-6 ms^-2 ie 20*log_10(accel_in_SI_units/10^-6). I don't think it is a standard though.

M

--
Dr Michael F Platten

There was a draft ISO standard for a reference level, but can't remember what they came up with. I typically use 1g RMS or 1 m s-2 RMS, since that gives sensible numbers for engine vibration.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Floor vibration standards are typical defined in terms of velocity.

Furthermore, some ISO standards require the floor velocity in terms of a one-third octave spectrum. The amplitude in each band is represented in terms of RMS velocity.

This format is called "Generic Vibration Criteria (VC) for Vibration-Sensitive Equipment."

Tom Irvine

I look at this that you want the difference (dB) between the acceleration levels from one reading (before a fix) compared to another (after fix) at a certain frequency (Hz). Thus a phrase would be “ the fix is good the difference between the G levels dropped 6 dBs at 500 Hz”. Is this what you are asking?

Good Luck!

Go Mechanical Engineering
Tobalcane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back