Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vibration in a rectangular heating tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker88

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I am working on a project at the moment which consists of an oil heater tank (rectangular 3m long, x 2m wide x 2 m high - made from 6 mm thk Carbon Steel). The unit is suffering from vibration induced by motors from a burner placed below our heating tank.

Is there any simplified methods available to me to place stiffeners or reinforcing strips across the sides of the tank to reduce the vibration effect. I understand that I am looking to find the resonant frequency of the plates involved but am really looking for a quick fix method for the tank in question.

Any help, direction or methodologies that you could make available would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Charles

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You did not explain how you know the vibration is from the 'motors from a burner placed below our heating tank'. Try wrapping chain around it and using binders to stiffen the structure much like chaining a load on a truck. Do it a little at a time from different directions and check the response (You asked for simplified). FEA and modal testing are great tools and will solve the problem, but can be expensive.

how are the tank and the burner supported?

I have to say that direct heating of such a large tank seems to be an archaic approach, shell and tube heat exchangers are an excellent means for transfering heat...and isolating the mechanical systems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back