Status
Not open for further replies.

bcg444

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2006
CA
Hello All!
I have just joined to this great forum.
I wonder, have anybody had an experience with Wire Rope Isolators?
I don't have a lot of practice with vibration, but a little.
We have always used well-known Lord mounts for our avionics equipment. So this is something new for me.
I have an impression that it is a little bit more difficult to define all the required specifications for them. Is it right? What are their advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks a lot for help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wire rope isolators have several advantages over conventional single axis rubber or spring isolators.

1)They are not affected by extreme heat or cold (within reason of course,) nor oils or other corrosives which destroy rubber or neoprene isolators.

2)They can be mounted in any attitude (horizontal, vertical or at an angle).

3) They can work in shear and not just a single axis as with springs. I do realize that some unrestrained springs can work with side forces but they tend to be unstable. This means that you can isolate a package on wire rope isolators and it will be isolated in 3 directions.

4) They have good shock response and can be specified for a low natural frequency.

We've used rope isolators for vibration isolation for over 20 yrs. The Navy uses them for 901 shock isolation on equipment racks.

They have more degrees of freedom, so they have more specifications. While they can be mounted in arbitrary attitudes, the characteristics will change depending on the attitude, unless you arrange for a symmetrical installation. We use 8 isolations in 4 orientations to suspend/isolate our payload.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back