Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Card ATI RADEON 9700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachem

Mechanical
May 30, 2002
LV
Is anyone using 128 MB DDR ATI RADEON 9700 TX
Is is suitable for SolidWorks?
Any experience?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No experience, but there is some who firmly believe that the ATI cards are not the best to use with SW. They (ATI) have had (have?) a history of not updating their drivers on a regular (or specific) basis.

Otherwise, I would assume that you wouldn't experience too many problems, but if you start getting dumped for no reason, or your screen freezes for no reason, then you will know.

Mr. Pickles

Let's say that if I have to choose between 9700 and for example PNY QUADRO 4 380 XGL 64MB, I definetly would choose PNY. Ok, the 9700 is good also, but Quadro 4 -series is fully designed to 3D-Designing. If you need to see the more tests of those check . There is a SolidWorks benchmark -test and off course other bencmarks.

Bamik

Hello,

The RADEON is designed for video games.

What you need is a video card that is designed for CAD.

Please look into the Quadro (as per Bamik) or the
ATI Fire GL 8800.

cheers,

Joseph

Thank you very much for all helpful replies.

Hi!

9xxx series videocards have for the most part the same gpu core as the firegl series.

the difference is on the driver side (for the most part)

ther is available modified drivers that detect your card as firegl series card, and gives you the same performance as the professional cards.

I have not tried this myself, but look into the details at

This is the program that have scripts that modifies the drivers for you.

Best of luck.

Hello,

We tried the 9700 as a temporary fix when our video card went out and SolidWorks would lock up within a few minutes requiring us to end its task. We replaced that card with one of the FireGL cards and had no problems. As far as cards and SolidWorks go we have had the best result from the Quadro4 900.

Larry Brown

I have an ATI 9700 Pro with two monitors and it works flawlessly. The video performance is extremely fast. (The game guys do know speed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back