Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VMC rotary table info

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbycantu

Aerospace
Jan 8, 2014
MX
At the company where I work we have a Haas VF3 (1999) machinig center with the prewiring for a 4th axis. We also have an unused HRT310 rotary table stored away. When we were looking for a 4 axis, one of the maintenance guys told us that they had one stored on the back for a couple of years that they could never get to work (VMCs are not their specialty). This rotary table was apparently bought a few years back and was never able to be put to work because we didnt have the sotware needed( Or so they say).

My question is: Is there any aditional requirements beside the software (currently we have master cam x6 with 4th axis disabled) so that I can get this rotary table up and running as a full 4th axis on the VF3?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The rotary table needs to have been wired and set up for a Haas. A tech would be able to check that out for you. Some (many) 4th axis products are not interchangeable between manufacturers.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Thank you for replying.

Both the VMC and the rotary table are from the same manufacturer (Haas).

I know the rotary table works with the VMC (checked manufacturer specifications), but I would like to know if I can set it up as a full 4th axis instead of an indexed one and what I need to do it (ex. Software).

Haas is likely the most reliable source for that information.
Call them.
I would not be surprised if they suggested sending a tech to check out the table and the machine before giving you an answer.

I would also suggest contracting with Haas or an authorized representative to do the actual integration, so you only have to call one number when things don't go right.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

It is important to note that indexers work differently from a true rotary 4th axis. I'm not familiar with Haas, but like Mike said, they can certainly help you out.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Thank you all for your replies. In this case I will have to contact both haas and master cam, because even if haas gives me the Ok we still want to be able to develop programs for the machines with master cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back