Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volume of Excavation

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVities

Geotechnical
May 20, 2006
CA
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the volume of an excavation. I could use other methods, but I am going to try to do this one in AutoCAD.

I know what the current surface is and what the final excavated surface will look like. If I could create these two surfaces then join them to find the volume in the middle, I would have what I want. So what commands/methods are best used to create these surfaces and then determine the volume?

Feel free to link and online articles, etc. that might help me with this.

Thanks,

McVities

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Possibly you could rotate the axis 90 degrees and
start finding the area at different z depths at
a constant interval. Use 1/2 of the two areas per
each z depth and sum them.

dimjim has one of the method; my approach to an excavated hole would be to draw an area as a closed polyline representing the surface elevation of the hole, then extrude the hole depthwise with a taper. Do an inquiry for volume of the solid.
If the hole is not flat bottom and somehat rounded, union a sphere with the above solid at the center line of that sphere to get your hole shape then do an inquiry.
If it is a trench make a rectangular solid box and do an inquiry.
All values will be approximate which you would get with any of the program mentioned above anyway.
i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back