Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Volume of Oxygen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaykay

Industrial
Jan 11, 2002
US
What is the volume of oxygen escaping into the atmosphere from a 1/4" ID hose at 50 psi, ambient temperature around 50 deg F? Could anyone give me the formula?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your question looks like a thermodynamics question. I would try using the energy equation not at steady state to find the mass flow rate with respect to time. Then if you know the precentage of oxygen in what is being released then just find the volume of the total and multiply it by the percentage. That is the best idea I can come up with from what little information you provided.

The perfect gas law is PV=nRT: P-pressure in atmospheres, V-volume in liters, n-number of moles, R-gas constant (0.0821 liter-atmosphere/deg K/mole), /T temperature in deg K.

Of course you didn't specify the length of the hose, which makes a difference based on: V=sqrt(25000DP/L): V-air velocity in ft/sec, D- pipe diameyer in inches, P- pressure loss due to friction in oz/sq inch/ft, L-length in feet.

Then using CFM=60VA: CFM-cubic feet/minute, V-Velocity in ft/sec, A-cross sectional area of pipe.

The rest is just algebra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back