Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vortex Cell Wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwinjuneer

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2004
NZ
Can anyone elaborate on the effectiveness or otherwise, of the Vortex Cell Wing as featured on P26 of the 5 September 2005 edition of Flight Internation? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting topic, which I have enjoyed reading.

I would believe that the Vortex Wing Cell works by reducing speration of Laminar flow, which normally occurs some distance down the top surface, as the turbulance tends to do this. I dont believe the vortex will be contain like the picture shows as it will suck air into it, from the low pressure forcing other air to spill over. As the Vortex will be a reduced pressure region, I would be unsure of its effects on lift, as It might increase lift from the low pressure suction just above it.

The step wing, would be interesting to see some Aerofoil data, It could be used on Wind Turbines, but until Material preformance takes another Jump for aircraft at least, the subtracted area is needed for Ailerons and Flaps( storage and Load Paths)

Any comments good or bad on this would be welcomed

I would be interested too because I have an interest in low aspect ratio wings. On this subject, can someone explain how a Stork can fly so far with its stubby inefficient "low aspect ratio" wings? Are the feather pronged wing tips significant?

I mentioned in an earlier post about the son of a friend who told my son that there was a new theory about how lift is created. Well last night he came around and with much hand waving explained to me all about vorticity. After he had gone, I looked it up on the net and am still very confused!

Anyway, all you older guys who thought Bernoulli had it nailed need to know that he didn't. Actually a friend has a super quick homebuilt aircraft and to my graduated eyeball, it appears to have absolutely symetrical wings and so it is only angle of attack and this vorticity deal that delivers the goods.

To all you aerospace/aeronautical guys, the vorticity thing will be old hat but perhaps one of you can elaborate on the stork story. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back