Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W18x50 <V50> - What does the <V50> represent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlclarkii

Structural
Mar 29, 2005
US
The slab is composite so I'm leaning towards two rows of steel studs. But I've never seen this noted like this before. Can anyone confirm this? What does the "V" represent? Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Grade 50 ksi steel. Back in the 1980's 50 ksi yeild strength steel was coming into existance. It would be mixed with standard 36 ksi steel so the 50 ksi steel was identified by the V50 mark.

What do the Structural Notes on the plans for the project say? In these notes, in the "Structural Steel" section - other than reinforcing steel - do they specify "Grade 36 steel unless noted other wise on the plans"? If so, then this is obviously an exception to the Grade 36 requirement.

If this is not an exception to the Structural Notes, then it could be a shear load for bolt requiremets at the beam ends as previously suggested. Do all the beams have this or a similar notation?

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Thank you for the responses.

The plans are dated 1992.

I only have two of the plans, one is the floor plan and the other is the notes, but there are no structural notes.

The majority of the beams has <50> but not all of them.

And there is a note of a composite deck but there's no indication of the number of studs for the beams.

Even if, heaven forbid, they ONLY have the name of an architectural firm, follow the lead and ask as previously suggested. They might have a record of who the structural was. Hopefully, they are still in business. In light of the past four months, you'd better do your asking quickly...

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back