Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Walls separating from building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughtclaw

Structural
Apr 28, 2016
US
Hey folks. I just visited a block building in which both the front and rear walls are separating from the rest of the building, and appear to have been doing so for quite a long time. I've attached a bunch of photos. I haven't seen anything quite like it. My initial thought is to put an angle iron on the exterior and through-bolt it to something on the interior, but I'm not at all sure that would work. Does anybody have a better idea? The client naturally wants to avoid knocking down and replacing the walls, but I'm starting to think that might be the best option.

IMG_8107_werdng.jpg
IMG_8100_llubij.jpg
IMG_8103_nvdjp6.jpg
IMG_8102_ffs5md.jpg
IMG_8091_hjmq8l.jpg
IMG_8106_raarmy.jpg
IMG_8095_qqrz5e.jpg
IMG_8093_dfylnn.jpg
IMG_8098_i8vzs9.jpg
IMG_8096_eameeh.jpg
IMG_8097_h3lwlk.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like water gets in and freezes, pushing the gap wider each time.

Not a structural guy, so no comment on the repair, but unless the water problem is fixed it will probably break outside the reinforcement.

Are your trusses expanding and contracting with thermal cycles such that they push/pull the opposite walls together/apart? Looks like tear-out at the truss ends.

AZPete said:
Are your trusses expanding and contracting with thermal cycles such that they push/pull the opposite walls together/apart? Looks like tear-out at the truss ends.
That is what I was thinking. I'd also be curious to know if the roof diaphragm is actually connected to the side walls. Seen plenty that weren't.

I don’t have all the solutions, however below is a summary of my observed deficiencies and their possible causes.

•The walls appear to be missing bond beams in the top course (Bond beams would have restrained cracks in top course.)
•The non-bearing walls are not connected to the roof framing (No connections visible.)
•Horizontal joint reinforcing (Dur-o-wal wire reinforcing) appears to be missing. (Horizontal joint reinforcing would have restrained crack widths.)
•Corner reinforcing appears to be missing (Corner joint reinforcing would have restrained crack widths.)
•I don’t see any vertical control joints in the walls (No joints visible in photos. Lack of regularly spaced control joints could have contributed to large cracks in corners.)
wire reinforcing) is missing (Horizontal joint reinforcing would have restrained crack widths.)
•Corner reinforcing appears to be missing (Corner joint reinforcing would have restrained crack widths.)
•I don’t see any vertical control joints in the walls (Vertical joints are not visible in the photos. Lack of regularly spaced control joints could have contributed to formation of restraint cracks in corners.)

Is there any vertical rebar in the walls? What's the wind pressure? What's the size of the wall openings? Vertical jamb steel is usually required on each side of large wall openings.

There are solutions, however the problems with these walls is proof that it's easier (and less expensive) to prevent problems than to figure out how to fix them.

Wall movement combined with lack of articulation. Possible inadequate bearing of the trusses too.

Someone has already rebuild large sections of blockwork on the corner and it’s cracked again, so you may have your work cut out for you attempting to strap it back together.

The walls themselves have some detailing issues too, as mentioned by cliff. How far down that rabbit hole you want to go is a murky question.

First things first you need to assess what’s happening; how much it’s moved (eg check levels with laser level) and then you need to monitor if its still moving.

Thanks, everybody. I can tell you that the trusses have plenty of bearing on the block. I have no information on vertical rebar (or lack thereof) in the walls, but I can investigate that. But clearly Cliff is correct that there's no corner joint reinforcement. I will figure out the wind pressure. The wall openings are just a couple of man doors. ... This is obviously going to be an expensive fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back