Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Warman Pump Sleeve Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jignesh1210us

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2010
IN
Dear all, we are facing problem with the warmanslurry pump's frequent sleeve failure and which results in bearing failure. Can anyone suggest for better improvements ? The pump is handling copper slurry with ph of 1.5, Pump model is 4/3 CCAH Warman.
Also, needs information for gland material. Which will be the best Gland Packing to be used for pump sealing in such slurry application.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have contacted to them but they are suggested some Dyna Seal and expeller arrangement in pump which is presently not possible. May be in future we will go for that. But to short out immediate problem we need some suggestion.

With a PH of 1.5 you need to use SAF2507 (Super Duplex) you probably have high Chlorides too and using SAF2205 (Duplex) Sleeves. Are you experiencing Pitting and resulting in a Black looking Powder where the sleeve is coroded? Ensure to use SAF2507 I can get back to you on the packing if thisis your problem.

trust this helps

It is more than likely a combination of sleeve material, packing selection and the way the packing is installed, adjusted and maintained. Do you have clean seal flushing water, is the lantern ring located in the correct position, is the packing over-tightened?

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your reply.......... Basically it is erosion. Yes I am also suspecting the problem with the Gland Packing. Can You Suggest any particular gland packing and make, model no. so that we can try different. We already have tried many but yet not found any particular suitable to our application.
Thanks

Actually it's for packing lubrication and should be allowed to leak a few drops a nimute to ensure the packing is being lubricated.
Is the packing being over-tightened?

hmmm does sound like the workings of an over-tightened Packing or incorrect assembly of the packing as well, we find this a common problem with maintenance staff of our clients when they send their pumps in for us to repair. Other than that I cant think of anything else if the pump was designed for that slurry.

1: I still can't find a hardware store that sells left hand screwdrivers? >_> <_< >_>
2: Yo new boy, we going to need to lift this now, so go across the road to Hire it and ask for 2 Sky Hooks.

I think your flush water design is the key in this application.

Normally it requires the flush water pressure being 5 to 10 psi higher than the pressure in the casing. With certain lantern ring design, a minimum flow will be resulted in from the flush side to the casing.

It sounds that your flush water pressure is not high enough, or you have a regulator at the flush water pipe that restricted the flush water flow getting through the gland packing.

If you have a flow meter on the flush water pipe, check it against a table from Warman (Minimum Total GSW Flowrates for various seal frame sizes.

If the packing is burnt and glazed it means that it has overtightened and probably insufficient flushing water, if in this condition replace it along with the shaft sleeve if it is damaged. You are wasting your time trying to get good life from the packing if the sleeve is damaged.

Check that the seal water pressure is sufficient, ensure that the lanteren ring is in its corect position which should be inline with the seal water entry, don't over-tighten the gland follower, allow a few drops of seal water from the stuffing box per minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back