Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Waste Heat Boiler - PG-58.5 include first valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iangineer

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2020
US
ASME Sec I, PG-58.5 states "Miscellaneous piping shall include any piping, not otherwise described herein, that extends to or from the boiler proper up to the first stop valve or instrument". Do the requirements of the mandatory certification and ASME Data Forms include the valve or just the piping up to the valve without including the valve itself? In the diagrams, the "Non-boiler external piping and joint" outside Section I jurisdiction begins after the first valve, but the wording in 58.5 makes me wonder if it could just be the piping. There is a flange between the valve and boiler, but 58.5 makes no reference to flanges, only to the first stop valve or instrument.

Also, what does the statement "The ASME BPVC has total administrative jurisdiction(mandatory certification by stamping the Certification Mark with appropriate Designator, ASME Data Forms, and Authorized Inspection) of Boiler External Piping and Joint. The ASME Section Committee B31.1 has been assigned technical responsibility." mean? Do piping and included valves require a stamp directly on them, or should there just be Data Forms that include a stamp with designator and AI approval?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!
Ian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

May refer to the ASME Boiler and pressure vessel Code regarding the boiler external piping (BEP) and non-boiler external piping per B31.1 Figure as below,

IMG_0783_fyiz9g.jpg

Does this mean that the valve withing the administrative jurisdiction requires "mandatory certification by stamping the Certification Mark with the appropriate Designator, ASME Data Forms, and Authorized Inspection"? At my plant, there is no additional stamping or whatnot, but the valves are designed to B31.1 and B31.3 due to the red-circled statement above.

The AI asked if the valves were boiler code, then his question was brought to me. I typically deal with Sec VIII, so I had to look it up and discuss with the inspector manager and we settled on the above answer that the valve just conform to B31.1 and B31.3. For future reference, I wanted a better grasp of what was actually required of boiler valves and see how other engineers have dealt with this question.

Thank you for the discussion!

The AI responsibility is to ensure the power piping and valve in the plant to be followed per Code Jurisdictional limits of B31.1 and maintain all the necessary documents for the records based on the local and government regulations.
IMO, the Engineer is to make sure the design and construction are complied with the Code and Standards as well as the requests by the AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back