Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

waste water treatment/components recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwardone123

Bioengineer
Jan 7, 2012
US
have unlimited source of waste water with following components
P-0.64 ppm
K=213.52 ppm
Ca 3.76 ppm
Mg 29.07 ppm
S 495 ppm
Na 1516 ppm
NH4-N 12 ppm
NO3 -N 1.46 ppm

Is it possible to recover any of these components ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is not economical to recover the parameters that you have listed either singly or combined.

One has to realise that these are basically trace constituents of water.

Are you trying to recycle the water or to recover the parameters that you have listed?

If you are trying to recover the water, you can use a technology like RO or an evaporator to separate the water and salts. RO will recover about 80-85% of the water and concentrate the salts in a reject waste stream of approximately 15-20% of the flow volume.

The problem with the RO approach is that you have to dispose of the RO reject stream that contains the salts.

An evaporator will also allow the water to be recovered and if you add a crystalizer, you end up with recovered water flow stream plus a dewatered salt component from the crystalizer.

Both of these technologies are relatively costly and are generally considered used when you have to address other issues such as water shortages.

I m interested in recovering micro elements i have listed .
Do you think I can use RO technology to do it ? Any other
technology ?
If yes can you please mention any existing systems which
can do this job ?

An evaporator will also allow the parameters listed to be recovered and if you add a crystalizer, you end up with a dewatered salt component from the crystalizer.

Depending on what is in the wastewater, you may be able to pretreat the wastewater with the RO process prior to the evaporator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back