Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water SYstem Delta T

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankanghan

Mechanical
May 7, 2008
US
HAs anyone experience any water system delta T as high as 50F delta??? Typical one i see is about 15F to 20F at most....The driving force for the delta T, of course, is the load,....i was told that in Europe they have systems that goes as high as 50F delta T....
By process water, i meant the water system that reject heats to the cooling tower or pond...
I appreciate any response...coments

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know of any chiller on earth that can handle a 50 deg F condenser water delta T. Are you sure you aren't thinking of heating hot water?

In the case of hot water, the higher delta T is an effort to increase boiler efficiency. You have to have a condensing boiler to do this though. Fulton is one brand that comes to mind. If you try to do this with a regular old run of the mill water boiler, its heat exchanger will be nothing but a pile of dust in a year or two.

Not normal... You'll need to give this to a cooling tower designer. Remember, you can't get too close to the dew point of the atmosphere around the tower. I suppose with enough extra capacity, you could get 50 or even 100 degrees F...

Let us know what you find!

Goober Dave

if the water going out to the tower is hot enough, you can get a huge delta T. what sort of process are you cooling with this water? what equipment is served by the tower?

The cooling tower is limited by the WBT/outlet temp, so I would imagine that any issues here, would be more sizing, material and chemical treatment oriented than ability to reject this delta t.

I would think that with this sort of high cooling water return temperature, you'd be better off recovering some of this quality heat somewhere before dumping it out the cooling tower.

Ooooh! I gotta jump on KiwiMace's bandwagon here. If you're looking at 150F degree water or higher, please do something useful with the heat before just rejecting it to the atmosphere.

Thinking green...

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Should not be an issue to get a cooling tower to do this duty and its a fairly normal to use large dT for say large water cooled generators. As said before it would not be applicable to chillers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back