Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Water Tank Strengthening

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagineers

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2010
CA
I am designing a water tank 13"x 6" x 6", and it should be able to handle around 250psi, I am not sure how to structurally make it stronger inside. As you can see in the pic I have three outlets and one inlet, also in the pic you can see drawn in red an idea on a couple ribs to be welded into place for strength, not sure if this is the way to do it or not. Any help would be appreciated.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1ac7b7f5-e989-4ca6-acd4-0f4c79da108c&file=Capture.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This would be a pressure tank at 250 psi. There is a reason that pressure tanks are fabricated in a circular shape.

Not sure how you will fit together all of those nozzles on such a small piece. The shape of the tank is also so complex that it will be difficult to model, design, and fabricate.

Suggest you make this out of a piece of piping.

well to be clear operating pressure is maybe 20 psi, this is not a pressure vessel, its a coolant reservoir, but in case there was some spike in pressure for some reason, I just want to add strength

Not enough information is known. Perhaps the part is a certain shape so that it fits in a certain space? If this is a mobile part, you may want to increase the fabrication cost to lighten it? Are you making 1 or 100,000? What is the material of construction?

< well to be clear operating pressure is maybe 20 psi, this is not a pressure vessel, its a coolant reservoir >

In many country, the regulators would disagree with you and say this is indeed a pressure vessel.

The pressure rating for a coolant resrvoir used quite low, and is almost always made of plastic, would you consider thie a pressure vessel?

Most vehicles limit the radiator system to less than 15 psi pressure.

Pressure vessels are generally above 15 psi.

Bimr hit the nail on the head with the first post. I actually started to reply about rolled plate, one long seam with two formed heads, combine nozzles into single repad, yada yada. Obviously this is for a hobby and doesn't follow code.

This isn't a hobby, it is for a production level tank :). the tank is probably about 3/4 full of glycol water mix. I simulated this in solidworks, adding 30psi as my working pressure and the tank appeared to break apart, I added some ribbing as seen in the pic and it appeared to withstand the pressure. but flow will be more turbulent. Also it should be mentioend I have pressure relief valves on this to crack at 20psi anyhow. Obviously a cylindrical tank can withstand much higher pressure.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dd70e7a2-4fa6-4f0a-9133-8362b5c2a54a&file=tank.PNG
Imagineers,

The part you provided a picture of is simply not able to handle any.internal.pressure beyond.maybeone or two.psi.

Those 90 degree sharp edges will have horrendous stress concentration factors and it it doesn't fail.first time around then it will fail by fatigue after a few cycles.

All coolant reservoirs I've ever seen in plastic have very rounded edges and few nozzles.

Neecs a rethink IMHO.

Sorry

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back