Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WATERPROOFING DOUBLE TEE PARKING DECKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer10

Structural
Apr 30, 2008
I am currently in charge of restoration work to bring up to code a parking deck constructed of precast double tee sections, bearing on precast inverted T beams, supported by cast in place columns. The waterproofing membrane is very piece-meal on top of the deck, and ideally, I'd like to replace if all with one system. The only thing that I can think of though is 2 ply hot rubberized asphalt below a wear course of asphalt concrete.

Regardless, every 8 feet, there's a gap between double tee sections. Therefore there is a lot of movement in this deck, miniscule or not, it happens, and so a waterproofing membrane would have to bridge gaps and be able to stretch cyclically for a long period of time. I can't see any product being 100% effective for a long period of time in this application.

Any ideas out there???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm dealing with a site in Toronto, where snow plows are a BIG problem and their blades would tear this apart in no time!

There is currently a similar system in place, which they have considered putting back. I'd like to avoid this though because they'll just have to replace it again in 3 years. I'd like a system to last 15 years if it's at all possible...maybe I'm dreaming though!

Thanks again! Good reference for sure.

Perhaps with the surface waterproofing, you don't use plows - I've seen brush type systems used. Takes more management and application sooner (don't wait until the snow is 2 feet deep), but might be workable with this system - you might call neogard and ask. There are also competing firms to neogard that can bid it as well.

Can you set up joints every 3 DT's and provide a movable joint at those locations? You can use a stainless steel gutter beneath as req'd and drain. Good expansion joints are expensive. Do you have topping that you can use to construct the joint within? You can then use a proprietary membrane over the 3 DT's. Toronto doesn't have the same cold issues that other places have, but because of the high frequency of freeze-thaw, deterioration can be excessive. There is not likely an inexpensive fix.

Why can't you remove the old roofing/sealant, caulk between the double tees with a flexible mastic sealant, and then put your membrane assembly over it all?

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

You could try HLM 5000 as a membrane it will accommodate some movement. Asphalt drys out and cracks with movement.
We recently did a large parking deck renovation in Vancouver using HlM 5000 and squeegeed it on reasonably thickly. It was then covered with concrete.

Intrusion Prepakt /marineconcrete.com

It sounds like a "galloping gertie" that is subject to radical temperature extremes because of the different exposures on a daily basis. On a cold clear winter day the top deck can expand, while the lower levels are still cold. The reverse can can occur on a cold, clear winter evening where the top contractor more that the lower levels.

It is not just a just a freeze/thaw problem but a structural movement due to temperature swings and exposures on a daily basis that cause movement, compounded by the salt that attacks the concrete and sealants that is tracked in by cars. - They will always move move and are subjected to some severe conditions.

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back