Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weighing two job offers-HELP 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

fermjohnp

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2012
US
Hi all,

I am posting this thread to get some insight into how i should approach this problem if it occurs.

I recently interviewed with two companies who are almost direct competitors in the machining industry. With the one job i would be trained at the facility which is very close to where i currently live. The other position is similir but there is a 6 month training program in another state. I will learn with 10-15 other engineers and we will then each become experts in our respective territories. With this opportunity i will be away from my girlfriend for 6 months but it is close enough that i will be able to see her on the weekends and we will get some time off for holidays. I will be put up in a apartment (that will be payed for) with the other guys and we will develop some comradery as we progress through the program which will be benefical for us all.

Both positions are application engineering related.

So the question is which one is sweeter if i am offered both jobs? And can i Negotiate salary?

How do i negotiate? Can i tell each company that i have an offer from a competitor? Are there drawbacks to this? I never have had the delemia if this is to happen.

Its worth mentioning that the job that will take me away for 6 months pays hourly (vs other which is salary) and there will be overtime which will help boost my income. I am extremely blessed to have had both interviews go so well.

Thank you in advance for all your comments.

thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I understand but i don't think I want the pressure of being the highest payed new hire in the class. The Natinal manager said i was the most grommed tho. ya for me. Maybe i've actuall making the most money, and i don't know it.

thanks macgver2000. The final salary is what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back