Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weld symbol problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

todb

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2003
US
Does anyone have a solution or a workaround for being able to insert the SW weld symbols in a drawing? I have not had a problem doing this until SW05 SP0.0.
When I try to insert a weld symbol in a drawing SW crashes, I have tried not selecting an entity first, and selecting an entity, crashes both ways. The only time I have been successful is after a reboot and with SW the only active program. Even that doesn’t work most of the time.
This should work and I can’t find any reason that it is not.
Thanks.
Todb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You must trest this as any other crash since Weld symbols work fine here in SW05 SP0.0

1) Try toggling the SOftware Open GL option in Tools\Options\System Options\Performance - You cannot have any SW files Open AT ALL.

2) Check your video card drivers to be sure they are the latest ones. If not update them. To see what the latest Drivers are see faq559-1027

3) Try doing a repair on your SW install. - IMPORTANT: Turn Anti-Virus software off

4) Did you install with a Anti Virus installed? - If so, you can the above, but a clean reinstall might be in order.

Try those things and let us know how they work. Also list your Computer Specs that you are using.

OS, Video, CPU, etc...

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

faq731-376

Scott, Thanks for the feedback.
I'am glad weld symbols work fine for you. Are you using hardware open GL? on what card?

I am using Nvidia 700xgl, tried the recommended driver on SW website and also the latest from nvidia site. no change.

SW was installed with virus protection disabled. Tried repair of install. no change.

Reinstalled video driver to recommended version on SW site. (which passes all tests) 53.03

Uninstalled SW and rebooted with virus protection turned off, reinstalled SW.
With hardware GL on, inserting weld symbol annotation crashes. Switch to software GL and the weld symbol insertion works.

I am runnning on a Dell precision 340 p4 at2.8, 1.5gb ram, win 2Kpro SP3.

Unless the realview graphics worked with software GL under SW04 I'm pretty sure that this is a new problem for me.
I have been really liking 05 until this problem. Well I still like it, just wish we hadn't spent money on a graphics card that doesn't perform as it should.
[morning]Todb

Try setting your BIOS option (if available) to "failsafe settings" or similar. There is a slight decrease in all round performance, but it definitely stabilises the system.

Video drivers are one issue, but motherboard compatability is also important and there are just too many for Solidworks to test, so they don't raise this as a possible problem.

We use this BIOS setting which negates most of the NVIDIA enhancements, but until Solidworks release a stable program that is truly "written for Windows" as they continually advertise, we are stuck with sub-standard performance.

Well a little more info.
I ran all the Windows updates, sp4 and everything on the MS update website. Which also has a new Nvidia driver 65.73, this driver doesn't even show up on Nvidia's website.
After installing all updates the weld symbol insert worked once and I thought great problem solved.
It only worked once, now the software GL setting which was allowing weld symbols to work isn't working at all, so now the weld symbols are not working at all. Tried switching back to 53.03 for video driver with no change.
Next test, changing the bios setting as suggested above.

The weld symbols dialog appears to be modeless now (I don't think it was in 2004). This allows interaction with the graphics area while the dialog is active, which can cause problems on sensitive systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back