Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welded Pipe Connections to Inlets & Outlets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCbrad

Industrial
Dec 1, 2008
CA
Hello,

I have a 32" OD Section VIII vessel where the Inlets and Outlets are NPS 10" and the Vents/Drain are NPS 3". Because of leak prevension we designed the nozzles to be welded to the piping system rather than use a flanged connection.
However the safety inspector is viewing the connection as an alteration to the vessel.

I thought that was some mention of this being acceptible in Section VIII, but I can not seem to locate it.

Does anyone have an idea where I can clarify, connecting the nozzles to the piping is either an alteration or it is acceptable?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This Interpretation might be useful.

VIII-1-89-115 said:
Subject: Section VIII, Division 1 (1986 Edition, 1988 Addenda), U-1(e)

Question: Two vessels were fabricated by a Manufacturer in accordance with the requirements of Section VIII, Division 1 and were stamped accordingly. Nozzles with weld end connections were provided on the vessels. Are the field welds for the connections to these nozzles considered within the Scope of Section VIII, Division 1?

Reply: No, see U-1(e)(1)(a).

The welds, and weld metal, are considered piping.

jt

The Manufacturer's Data Report can be useful in this case.
Connections to the vessel are identified and relevant when determining the vessel scope. Usually the MDR specifies whether the connections were provided as stub ends or with welded flanged/proprietary connections etc.... A properly completed Data Report with any additional info in the remarks section is especially helpful.
But...you got it sorted out....

FAQ731-376

You may also take a look at the appropriat piping code you are using to attach to the vessle.

B31.1 para. 100.1.2(3) "terminal points themselves are considered part of the piping"

B31.3 para 300.1.1(c)"The joint connecting piping to equipmentis within the scope of B31.3."

A question properly stated is a problem half solved.

Always remember, free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back