Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welder Code Qualifications 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonkers

Mechanical
May 13, 2008
US
Can someone refer me to the welders qualification code. I am researching if welding to a vertical pressure vessel support leg requires special qualification, procedure and inspection if the portion of the leg is not contacting or within some predetermined length from the pressure components. Are the legs considered part of the pressure welding code zone? Can you weld to legs without an alteration or rerating?

Thanks,
Bonkers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By what you describe the support leg itself is not considered part of the pressure boundary, or does not contain pressure.

Now, should you have a qualified welding procedure, welder, and NDT for weld repair of the support leg? ABSOLUTELY.

Yes, I plan to stiffen the support by welding cross brace members to the support legs. I could not find the pressure vessel limitations of the pressure vs. nonpressure zone. I want to stay away from the leg/vessel attachment weld. Is there a section in ASME BPVC Sect. VIII Div. 1 to support this?

Thanks for your reply!
Bonkers

Basically, ASME B&PV Code, Section VIII deals with new construction design rules, which consist of pressure boundary design rules and non-pressure part attachment weld requirements to the pressure boundary.

Since you are welding a non-pressure part material to an existing non-pressure part material, this falls outside of Section VIII construction code.

Bonkers,
I feel like that most of the time.

Back to your question tho, you do not need any special code of construction or repair code to add X-bracing to supports.

However the additional bracing should be considered in calcs and the welder should be currently qualified as per Sec IX.

Assuming the pv is located at a mill or plantsite, that entity would have jurisdiction and most mill have their own welding standards.

Hope this helps,
Robert

Thanks to all responders! You have answered my question and given me direction and support!

Thanks again, I'm going.....
Bonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back