Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Magnesium Per Boeing Specs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil62

Aerospace
Apr 3, 2001
US
Is anyone out there qualified or know someone qualified to weld magnesium per Boeing spec BAC5975 using filler rods ER AZ92A or R AZ92A per AWS A5.19?

We have about 10 projects that need this done and are unable to find a qualified welding vendor ANYWHERE.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Phil? Phil Condit? Aren't you in Chicago now?

What city are you in, really? When I worked for Boeing in Seattle, I think there were plenty of qualified welders. I think the Auburn shop had some people there that could do it. Of course, Boeing laid off most of the qualified people in Auburn or consolidated them, but they may still have some people left. I vaguely remember seeing a list of preferred vendors on the Boeing intranet. I don't recall if it was in a significant database format to search for welders, though.

I would try to find a planner in your area. They seem to have insights as to vendors. Otherwise, head down to the local machine shop and ask the floor supervisor. I would also get your manager involved to look at other Boeing facilities. If you can say, what project are you on? I may be able to recommend a person or persons to help you that are still at Boeing.

I don't remember if a search on PSDS brings up vendors, either.

--Scott

Scott,
No, I am not Phil Condit and I'm located in Shelton, Washington.

I'm trying to perform weld repairs on magnesium krueger (leading edge) Flaps for 727's.

I have Boeing approval for my welding procedures and have been working very close with Boeing service engineering on this. Together with Boeing we have done extensive searching for a qualified welder and have had no luck world wide. So basically I have approval for a repair procedure that no one is apparently qualified to do!

As a last ditch effort to leave no stone unturned I posted the above request.

Thank you for your reply to my querry. If you have any further information or suggestions please do not hesitiate to reply to this post.

Sincerely,
Phil

I want to know whether it is necenssory the case to weld them, why not using other method, say, self piecing riveting at elevated temperature.

Hi Timothy2, WELDING IS REQUIRED BECAUSE WE ARE REPLACING MISSING MATERIAL REMOVED DUE TO CORROSION IN LOCALIZED AREAS. SINCE THESE ARE COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT PARTS, WE MUST RESTORE AT A MINIMUM, THE ORIGINAL OR GREATER STRENGTH AND MAINTAIN OEM DESIGN DIMENSIONAL TOLERANCES TO THESES AREAS. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ROOM AVAILABLE FOR ANY KIND OF RIVET FASTENER PATTERN THAT WILL RESTORE THESE AREAS AND TRANSFER THE LOADS BEING CARRIED WITHOUT THE USE OF STEEL OR TITANIUM FASTENERS WHICH ARE TYPICALLLY UNACCEPTABLE IN MAG BECAUSE OF DISSIMALAR METAL CORROSION ISSUES.

I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE RIVETING METHOD YOU MENTION, BUT IT SOUNDS INTERESTING. IF YOU CAN REFER ME TO A WEB PAGE OR OFFER ANY OTHER INFO ON THIS PROCESS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
PHIL62

HAVE A GREAT DAY

Hi, Phil62
The riveting method seems not suitable for your case. For your info. you may try to find out something related to this method.
Regarding the dissimalar metal corrosion, if there is no electropyte involved, it is not a issue.

Thanks for your post timmy. I'll keep on hoping someone can help.
Later.
Phil62

Phil 62

I am intrested in following your search for a
qualified technician. Would like to keep in touch.
My E-mail Cosmic-Pigg@Alliancearch.net
This sounds challenging.

Cosmic-Pigg

That seems odd that you cant find a vendor for this.

Im in so. cal. and spent time at Mdc. boeing, northrop and
allied signal as a tig weldor

The major vendors i remember are (that had mag qualified operators were

hydromill simi valley ca.

Keystone eng. l.a. ca.

Psi L.a. ca.

and two others one in los alamitos ca and one in torrance ca
i cant seem to remember the names of

These companys all were boeing qualified because we would
circut in and out of these during temp. layoffs.

Hope that helps

if your procedure is approved and 'qualified' the welder that qualified it is qualified to weld to the procedure. why not start there? why not hire a welder and give him/her the procedure and qualify them to the standard. It is always cheaper to grow your own.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back