Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding of A193 B7 Steel 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Italo01

Structural
Sep 4, 2021
BR
Hello,

In this thread ( metengr asserts that "it is not permitted to be welded under ASME B&PV Code" relative to ASTM A193 GR B7 material. I tried to find the clause but wasn't able to.

Does anyone know what specific clause of ASME B&PV prohibit the welding of this steel?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A193-B7 bolts are heat treated that is why you shouldn't do any welding on it.

For "specific clause", it might state something to that effect in the A193 spec.
Or it could just be a practical issue of not being able to qualify a weld with the material.
Or it could be that the material is not listed under the different base metals.

This is a thread fixing system, why not continue with it? Why weld it?

Regards

I don't think you are allowed to modify the material of the bolting in any way without compromising the certification of the bolt to the ASTM A193 standard.

ASTM A193 references A962, which states under 16 Retests and rework: "16.3 Repair by welding is prohibited".

Thank you guys for you answers.

I asked this question only because of curiosity and not because i have a need to weld A193 Gr. B7 steel. I ended up reading the thread and saw the response but couldn't find the specific clause and asked here.

Not in ASME but stumbled on this in API 560 today

12.5.6 If the minimum service temperature is –18 °C (0 °F) or higher, bolting material shall be in accordance with
ASTM A307, ASTM A325, ASTM A193-B7, or equivalent. Below –18 °C (0 °F), A193-B7 bolts with ASTM A194-2H
nuts, ASTM A320-L7 bolting, or equivalent shall be used. No welding is permitted on A320-L7 or A193-B7 materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back