Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welding of AISI904L UNS N08904

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlomaderazo

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2005
QA
As I have seen in AMSE IX, AISI904L material is equivalent to SB677 which is P No.45. I have WPS for SB407 which is also a P No.45, can I use the same WPS for welding of AISI904L material?

thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not necessarily. The PQR may be used to support welding 904L depending on the welding filler metal used provided there is or will be (for new WPS) no change in essential variables.

Can I use ERNiCr-3 for welding AISI904L as the same filler wire we used for SB407 material? But as I have found in in some websites, they recommended ER385? Can I use ERNiCr-3 as an alternative?

thanks.

Yes you can. You can use any F43 group bare wire filler metal. The question should be, should I? Generally speaking, no. 904L was selected for a particular service condition for which ERNiCr-3 may not be appropriate.

The service of AISI904L material is for Vacuum Venting 1st & 2nd Stage Ejectors Discharge. The vacuum system removes all air/carbon dioxide noncondensable gasses from the system using a 3-stage barometric condenser system with steam jet ejectors. The design pressure is 3Bar a and design temp is 185 degreeC. For welding, what filler wire is compatible with this material, service and design conditions?

904L would appear to be overkill for the service; it is normally specified for pitting corrosion resistance in chloride rich environments. You need to query the Engineer as to the acceptability of using ERNiCr-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back