Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding of Carpenter 465SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatstrow

Materials
Aug 3, 2018
US
We're trying to autogenously weld 465 with itself. Just wondering if anyone has seen this at all or given it a try.
We have had success with welding 465 to 17-4 ( can get some ferrite from the 17-4), but can't seem to get 465 to weld without severe cracking. I'm prone to think this will be very difficult but wanted to see if anyone has any input

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We weld thin wall tubing in C465, but it is only 0.035" thick.
The smallest welds possible help.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

EdStainless, we are trying to get a min penetration of 0.020" using a pulsed Nd-Yag laser. We get very bad cracking in both the fusion and HAZ. What Process do you use when welding the 0.035" pipe? Maybe the rapid solidification is whats making this difficult.
Thanks for your input

We are TIG welding.
I am guessing that your very localized heating, and very rapid cooling are the issue.
Pre-heat may help, and/or providing some lower energy pulses after fusion to slow cooling a little.
You are annealing these after welding?

Why won't the Carpenter website tell us what is in this stuff?

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

EdStainless: Thanks, I was thinking something along those lines. I doubt we will be able to do any kind of preheat with our current setup but i'll keep that in the back of my mind moving forward. I like the idea with a lower energy pulse, but I think the cooling rate is too rapid with pulsed laser welding to make that effective. I could be wrong, so i'll probably try it anyway. We get the material in the solution annealed condition, and weld in that condition. I see cracking right at this stage. The material will eventually go through a H900 heat treatment after welding.

Ironic Metallurgist: The Avg comp in our heats of 465 is the following: C-0.008, Cr-11.57, Ni-11.0, Ti-1.61, Mn-.02, Si-.03, Mo-.94, N-.002, P-.002, S-.0005.
Its a Ni3Ti PH stainless steel. From what I know its an austenite/martensite alloy, no ferrite. I also think I see Ti carbides in the microstructure ( orange square particles ), but I doubt myself as I didn't think there is enough carbon to form those in this alloy, and any literature I find doesn't mention anything else except the NiTi precipitates

Thanks for your feedback

You might also try overaging it first, then welding, solution anneal, age.
The material is much tougher over aged than annealed.
This is a semi-martensitic alloy. Even solution annealed it is partially martensitic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back