Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

welding requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1350grh

Materials
Apr 11, 2010
GB
Dear Mr./Mrs./Miss.
The air cooler in HYDROCRACKER unit (oil refining plant)have the below specifications,Please guide me about the welding procedure ,filler metal and any requirements in conform to service.
design pressure:55.3 bar/f.v
design temperature:171 celsius
fluid circulated: H2+HCBN TRACES
X-ray examination:spot
PWHT:yes (Max. weld hardness;200 brinnel)
Materials:SA-516Gr.60 , SA-105 , SA-234WPB
Headers Thk.:30 mm.
With best regards.
GRH
23 Feb. 2011

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1350grh;
I would suggest you obtain/review API 510 because this standard deals with "Pressure Vessel Inspection Code; In-Service Inspection, Rating, Repair and Alteration" and contact the vessel manufacturer. Wleding and weld repair requirements are in API 510.

The welding requirements will require a welding procedure specification and welder to be qualified to ASME B&PV Code, Section IX guidelines. Welding process will depend on type of weld repair and the filler metal will depend on the welding process. I do not want to get into too much detail before you review API 510. If you need more help, contact the manufacturer of the vessel, they can provide direction for you regarding weld repair and weldign requirements.

Dear metengr
This air cooler is in first steps of construction and only the main drawing is available.the old equipment shall be replaced by the new.
Any supplementary date or detail is out of availability.
in API 661 some requirements like as low hydrogen content , ... is mentioned, but it is possible the medium/service make the more restriction that is not mentioned or detailed in this standard,
The latest WPS/PQR(s) that are prepared by me are for general service for any pressure vessel ,air cooler and heat exchanger (C.S / Alloy .S and Non-ferrous)
My question is this;
Is there any requirement for filler metal or welding process in relation to medium (H2+HCBN TRACES) or service (hydrocracking)?
I am thankful from your attention and reply,
With the best regards,
GRH

1350grh;
Ok, got it. Look at several NACE Material Standard publications regarding hydrogen service and SCC. There is guidance on maximum hardness and PWHT.

Recommended Weld processes:
SMAW: E7018
SAW: F7P6-EM12K
GTAW: ER70S-2 or ER70S-6
GMAW: E70S-6
Preheat: 200F min.
Interpass Temperature: 600F max.

Dear stanweld and metengr
Refer to latest " metengr" comment about NACE MR0175 and the SCC & HIC requirements, I reviewed this reference.
In my latest project," sour gas separator " the recommended filler and electrod by ESAB that passes the SCC and HIC were E7018-G (OK 48.08)and ER70S-6 (OK Tigrod 12.64).
In NACE standard (para. 1.1 : scope )is mentioned the " hydrogen sulfide (H2S)" . IS this standard applicable for H2+HCBN TRACES service? is there any reference in ASME code?
I am thankful for your comment and waiting for more guidance?
With best regards
GRH
2011/02/26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back