Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

welding stainless steel 4031 to recover depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2012
IR
Dear All,

I have my ferromagnetic type stainless steel 4031 grade machined to the desired shape. since there was a slut with 1600(length)*80(width)*10(depth)mm dimension on the plate wich the machining operator was going to machine it to the mentioned dimensions.
but he has mistaken and machine 2mm extra in depth. and now I have a slut with 1600*80*12.
now I am figuring out to recover the depth of slut using some method like welding or metal spraying and then machine it to the desired depth.
wich welding method and welding rod(electrode) are suitable for the 4031 stainless steel? will it be economical to do so?

since the magnetic properties of the plate is a concern(according to design intent, plate is going to operate in a magnetic solenoid) will welding have an effect on the magnetic properties of the plate?

any comment would really be aprecieted.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dear Metegr /Ed stainless

the grade is 1.4031/420, as the certificate provided by the seller says.

regarding the heat treat condition, the plate is in as-received condition and we have conducted no heat treatment on the plate, and none of the heat treatment operations are needed for the final fabricated plate.

regards.

Yes, but is the material annealed, normalized, N&T, or Q&T?
You may not want to use this material in the A or N condition. It has poorer toughness and corrosion resistance.
However for welding you really want it annealed, and you want to use a 260C pre-heat for welding.
Then you can re-anneal after welding and Q&T to the final condition.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

dear EdStainless,

I am not that many acquaintances with welding terminology. and don't know about N&T or Q&T. if they stand for normalise& temper or Quench and Temper, I am not really sure about this.

and do you know what kind of electrode or wire is needed?
what about the magnetic properties?

Yes, that is what I meant.
The MTR should shoe what the heat treat condition is.
What are the mechanical properties?

There is matching chemistry weld filler available.

dear Seldstan

the thickness was 20mm in the as-received condition. after machining the slot place we have 8mm thickness at the bottom of the slot.
regards.

That link does not begin to answer the question.
What is the tensile on your MTR? What is the heat treat condition?

You have two options with this repair - (1) weld build-up the base of the slot using weld wire of similar composition (420), preheat and post weld heat treat or (2) re-heat treat after welding. Considering only a 2mm thickness build-up at the base of the slot I would post weld heat treat and forgo re-heat treatment because of distortion concerns.

thank you dear all,
During welding, We got some distortion in the plate!. I have the plate post weld heat treated to compensate distortion. but I am afraid of losing mechanical/physical properties.
I think I am gonna reject this plate completely and try and new plate.

Loosing what properties? You never said what they were to start with.
You should be able to repeat any heat treatment, start with normalizing, and then Q&T if needed.

Probably a wise decision to replace because you may not recover from distortion if you re-heat treat since this is final machined to desired shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back