Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weldment

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunt58

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2005
US
Not sure how to add the hole wizard hole to a separate mirrored body. I have a frame with rail welded support blocks. The blocks are patterned down the rail and mirrored to the other side. I can get the holes on one side in the hole wizard with feature scope and selecting the bodies. When I mirror the hole wizard holes (mirror, feature, geometry pattern, feature scope) it is visually correct but doesn't populate my drawings hole call out correctly. Only half the of the holes are called out on the drawing. Obviously I can manually edit the hole call out on the drawing but I'd rather have SW add them up correctly. I think the problem is the selecting geometry pattern in the mirror. Not sure how else to get the holes to mirror though.

Thanks
Grant

Certified SolidWorks Associate
SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Xeon 3.2GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
Win 7 Pro X64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on the picture you attached it looks like you are cutting a hole through both sides at the same time. Could you use the hole wizard before the mirror and then mirror over the hole cutout as well? That should give you the results you want.

Mirrored the body separate because the hole is in two different parts, the small tabs and the rectangular part with a tab. Tried as you described doesn't seem to work either.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

Reread my last post I could mirror the parts bodies with the holes. Not sure why I didn't but it didn't seem to work either.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

It's a weldment part file.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

Hum, I haven't worked a whole lot with weldment parts. Would it be possible to get the solidworks file to get a better idea as to what the actual problem might be?

Kinda found a work around. Didn't select a face when starting the hole wizard so sketching was in 3D. That along with selecting all the bodies gave the correct hole callout on the drawing.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

They would be cut/laser cut, welded to the frame then the step and tapped holes would be machined.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

Hum, well that certainly is odd. I figured out what you were talking about and I even tried to go back and redo your tree so that there was one hole that propagated itself to everything and it still only showed 4x in the drawing. To be honest I don't know why it is doing that, I know that if it was all from the same part that it would work but it may have something to do with the fact that it's a weldment part. I can't tell you for certain since I am not that experienced with that but it's an idea.

I think its the geometry pattern. It just shows a visual representation doesn't contain any information. The 3D sketch seemed to work ok.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back