Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Well I Never (Oreintation) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nev99

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2004
MX
Cannot believe that I stumbled across this accidently but I guess loads of you knew anyway.

For those that did not.

If you wish to reoreint your 3d model quickly especially if you say are looking from the right side and you wanted the left side.

Look closely at the compass where you see the x, y and z text on the appropriate axes.

If you highlight the x text and click it will either reverse the orientation or orient your current view to the Left View.

Also it will not do it dynamically but instantaneously.

Regards

Nev

Yep - that's a nice little trick that someone showed me after I'd been using CATIA for awhile. I click on the X Y Z all the time - much easier then trying to figure out which icon to select to get the view looking from the side.

If you always rotate your parts parallel to the screen, another little trick you might like is VIEW + NAVIAGATION MODE + VIEWPORT SNAPPING and then try rotating your part.

JackK, Nev99, Thanks for this posting, I have been working on CATIA v5 for 3 years now and your right - the orientation icons suck. Again, I want to personally thank you both. I gave both of you a star:)
Texaspete

These tips are a great help. We are getting ready to get v5r17. I think all we are waiting on is the final negotiation. My question - Is the orientaion always have the z-axis pointing up? Can we change this? I have looked through all my help files and can't find anything. All of our legacy files have the z-axis pointing out the screen. I must have missed something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

vikingcadjocky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back