Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What are good references for a Power Engineer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbeach

Electrical
Mar 13, 2003
US
I intend to spend some time over the holidays updating faq238-1287.

What else should be in there? I will check links, but go ahead and let me know if you know of broken links. Are there missing publications? Are there other publications that should be there? Are there other categories that should be included? If so, what should those categories include. It's much easier for me to focus on the IEEE/ANSI world, but I'd like to include comparable works for the IEC world; what am I missing there?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think this web site is worth a link, if only for the obscure and vintage equipment he's got data for:
I have a load of old stuff to send him when I get around to scanning it.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

There are a number of good references. To start, I recommend "
Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineering" by Fink and Beatty. Also consider "The Electrical Engineering Handbook" by Dorf. The best set to consider that are more specific to power and industrial engineering are from IEEE. The IEEE Color Books include several that may be more focused on particular areas of interest to you. visit

The link for the Areva "Network Protection & Application Guide" no longer works.

That said, an updated version has now been released from Alstom, who acquired part of Areva. You need to register to get a copy, but its available free of charge. If I can find the link I'll post it up here.

David,

There are a few that come to mind that should be added to your original list but which I don't see yet.

This first one below was from one of my replies to another post in which you mentioned your were going to add it to the list, but which I don't believe has been so I will include it again to make sure it gets added on to the updated list.

Protective Relaying for Power Generaton Systems by David Reimert published by CRC Press. One of the most comprehensive books specifically covering the topic of generator protection it contains many detailed examples and explanations.

Modern Solutions for Protection, Control, and Monitoring of Electric Power Systems by SEL (Ferrer and Schweitzer) This book covers the application of modern digital protective relays to power systems and has newer topics not in some of the classic protective relaying texts.

Power System Analysis-Short-Circuit, Load Flow and Harmonics 2nd Ed. by J.C. Das published by CRC Press.
One of the best overall references which covers all aspects of power system analysis. A true reference book that should be on the shelf of any power engineer. The second edition now also includes a chapter on arc-flash calculations.

Some other more topic specific books include:

Transients in Electrical Systems Analysis Recognition and Mitigation by JC Das published by McGraw Hill.
A thorough coverage of many topics related to power system transients which covers modeling, analysis and mitigation for a variety of components. This book also covers the use of modern EMTP simulaton tools for solving power system transient problems.

Industrial Power System Grounding Design Hanbook by Dunki-Jacobs, Shields, and St. Pierre self published and available at An excellent reference and companion to the IEEE Green and Emerald books this book is based on a culmination of the authors many years of research and experience at GE into grounding problems and solutions. Mr Dunki-Jacobs now deceased is a IEEE Life Fellow who is recognized for his work in the area of grounding and has written numerous IEEE papers.

Rating of Electric Power Cables Ampacity Computations for Transmission, Distribution and Industrial Applications by George Anders published by McGraw Hill. One of the only books which covers the topic of cable ampacity calculations this book is detailed and authoritative in its coverage of the subject matter. Mr. Anders is a subject matter expert on the topic and principal researcher for Kenetrics along with being a IEEE Life Fellow. This book is now out of print and scarce.

Rating of Electric Power Cables in Unfavorable Thermal Environments published by Wiley-IEEE Press is Mr. Anders second book which is still available. It is slightly less detailed in coverage as his first book, but it is more readily avaiable and at a reasonable cost.

One other item although not complete the IEEE Color books are in tbe process of still being updated. The update and revision once completed will be called the IEEE 3000 Series Standards.

IEEE 3000 Standards Collection™—Coming Soon
(formerly IEEE Colorbooks® PowerPack)

The IEEE 3000 Standards Collection contains invaluable industry-proven standards on every key aspect of industrial and commercial power systems. Each standard gives you access to must-know procedures, formulas, diagrams, and more. Maximize product development and R&D with the most comprehensive collection of essential standards for power engineers.

Check the IEEE Standards page for a more detailed list of the contents of each part of the IEEE 3000 Standards Collection.

Circuit Breakers:
1) 1994_Vacuum Switchgear, Allan Greenwood,The Institution of Electrical engineers, London
2) 2002_Circuit Breakers:Design& applicationsed2.0,Ruben D.Garzen, Marcel &Decker Inc
3)2006_Handbook of switchgear, BHEL, McGrawhill Handbooks

Transformers:

1) 2010,2001_ Transformer design-Principles with application to core form Transformers,Feeney,Mary -ellen F, Betrtland paulin,Robert M Del Vecchio, CRC Press

2)2007....1925,J &P Transformer Book ,ed.13, Martin Heath Cote,Newness Publications,elsevier,Amsterdam.

3) 2007,2003_ Electric Power Transformer Engineering, James H Harlow,CRC Press,Newyork

4) 2004_Transformer Engineering,Design and Practice, S V Kulkarni, S A Kharparde

5) 1995,1987_Large Power Transformers,K Karsai,D Kerenyi,L Kiss, akademiai Kiado,Budapest

6)1951,1937_Transformer Engineering,L F Blume,A Boyajian etc, John wiley &Sons,New York

Eventhough last two books are out of print, they are classics on the subject along with J&P.1,4,5, 6 are design oriented and balance are more for application side.
CIGRE:
CIGRE is publishing Technical Brochures regularly on special topics related to T & D subjects.These are available at These can be downloaed if you take membership in CIGRE by paying a nominal annual fee.

Well, I've gone and done it. All updated now (as if that can ever happen ;-)). I couldn't find anything online about the
2) 2002_Circuit Breakers:Design& applicationsed2.0,Ruben D.Garzen, Marcel &Decker Inc
reference from prc, so that isn't included.

Thank you David. That FAQ is much appreciated by at least one of us. [smile]

I don't know what you think about including 'old' reference books, but I have a number of vintage books, copies of which still turn up for sale occasionally. I can readily think of one on substation design from the 1930s or 40s, another on protection from the heyday of electro-mechanical schemes, and a set of two on switchgear from the days when air-blast designs were an emerging technology and oil breakers were used at the transmission level.

There are a lot of installations and structures dating back 60 or more years in this country, and I certainly hadn't appreciated some of the design features in these old substations prior to reading the book. Both the switchgear books and the protection book provide a level of detail which simply isn't covered any more in modern texts, probably because the people who could furnish that level of understanding are no longer among us.

If you want the titles I'll dust them off when I get in to work tomorrow.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I don't mind old references, after all I've got Clarke and Wagner & Evans on there. I do like to be able to verify the title/author etc., and the one of prc's suggestions I couldn't get any hits in google.

David, all the books I mentioned are with me.The book that you could not find by googling- I recently downloaded it from one of the free sites.I remember seeing it at amazone also_Old classics- used copies- I used to get from abebooks.com or bookfinder.com. I got J& P Transformer Book first edition( 1925)by that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back