Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are other light weight PDMs wo

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLineDesign

Bioengineer
Aug 9, 2007
US
What are other light weight PDMs work well with NX? We have two distinct product lines here remaining in two different PDMs and two different CAD Packages. Both are in need of upgrading, so I'm looking around to see what's new. I know we will at least be going to SW PDM for the SW stuff, but I'm unsure what will happen on the NX Side. Our CAD databases live on their own, and as of this typing no new rumors of integrating CAD back into the Change Control Database/Quality Manual (we export .pdf, and generic CAD (.dxf for flats, and parasolids when needed for complimentary 3D data). If you're thinking refile the NX stuff to SW, only so much of the Legacy data would make it (we have NX files back into the 80s that are still being produced), but I can see where this may have to happen unfortunately.

Let me know your thoughts,
KLINE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say, from maintenance point of view, one CAD package would be far easier.
Depends which one has the better experience within your company.

What about user experience?

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

Thanks for the links. I recently saw ITI at a seminar. We're still debating all this. Our trouble with 'one CAD System' is we have a lot of Legacy Files on the Unigraphics side - like 80s and 90s Legacy and some are still released. Those won't do anything useful in SolidWorks. Total file types we have like 10:1 NX vs. SW. But, SolidWorks is of course a lot less expensive. I think we'll at least go with one PDM, but keep both NX and SW.

Thanks again,
KLINE

PLM systems are generally not lightweight, If one system is lightweight, the other suppliers would probably say that that system is not a true PLM system...
PLM stands as you probably know for Product Lifecycle Management, a definition into which one probably can interpret really anything related to a product, and then suddenly "lightweight" is no longer.

Teamcenter is a PLM system. It can be implemented using a series of templates which makes the setup fairly quick and simple. The underlying system is though still a large and very capable PLM system.

The suppliers who used to sell "PDM" systems will probably today rater say "PLM" systems. - there are more money in PLM than PDM.

/ Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back