Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What are some good references for connection design for a new EIT? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.K.G

Structural
Jul 15, 2024
CA
I recently posted about what types of software others here use for connection design and got many different responses. Many people said they still use hand calcs for connection design. To those people, I was wondering what are some good materials and places to look to start learning connection design and what type of design checks I should be doing for that connection (this includes simple shear connections, moment connections, brace connections, etc.,). I am a new EIT and I am having trouble understanding the different limit states like beam web yield, beam web rupture, plate yield, plate rupture, web buckling, etc. Like I do not know what some of these limits states exactly are and how they apply to the connection. Furthermore, I do not intuitively know which limit states should I be checking for this type of connection. For example, I don't know intuitively the limits states to check for a shear tab or a extended end plate connection. I am in Canada and the CISC has very limited info on connection design. So I was wondering, what are some good reference materials to learn this stuff?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AISC has many design guides that cover connection designs. These design guides are free to access if you are a member of AISC.

To highlight a few of interest:
AISC DG1: Base Plate and Anchor Rods​
AISC DG21: Welded Connections​
AISC DG24: HSS Connections​
AISC DG29: Vert Bracing Connections​
AISC DG39: End Plate Moment Connections​

There are also connection designs in the AISC design examples which are free to access online which include a lot of simple shear connections. See below.

I can't speak much to design references with the Canadian codes.

What's your objective? Just curiosity? Solo delegated engineer work? In house (west coast desig practice)?

the global sense:
Modern Steel Construction,

Anything by Kloiber, Thornton, Muir, or that other guy at LeJeune (ETA: Victor Shneur) with the tips on connection costs. It's a deep subject but study yields rewards. Your various AISC convention recordings, transfer loads, etc.

ETA:
I don't have an FAQ on connection design, but Practical Considerations for Steel Construction in the AISC forum FAQ has links two two Shneur articles (added just now) on connection design. These are general advice articles.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! @bulb I had looked at that before and asked my boss if he could sign me up, unfortunately, he hasn't responded yet.

That's unfortunate. AISC has a YouTube channel that you can refer to
There are so many books out there but starting from a generic text book sounds ideal then you can get into connection textbook
The kindle version goes for $3

These are old (4 years ago) but still a great start and then you can refer to any steel textbook. Once you get the basics, other materials will be easy to understand.

Steel Tube Institute has loads of resources on HSS connection design, including articles with design examples, design manuals with more design examples, HSS Connex to determine minimum wall thickness at connections, spreadsheet design tools for professional members, etc. You can start with this resources page, and if you have specific questions, you can use the "Contact Us" page.

The pitfall of HSS connection design is usually wall thickness, if the EOR wasn't paying attention to the preliminary checks and went with 3/16" or thinner walls you can have difficulties (I'm referring broadly to truss style connections).

There's an STI seminar on September 18th (I think) on a three story building that is free....

lexpatrie said:
The pitfall of HSS connection design is usually wall thickness

To add to lex, knife plate connections from beams to HSS have design checks that do not depend on load (refers to CIDECT DG3) which are checked in RISA Connection. I'm not sure if these are referenced in the Canadian or American codes or if they are just something RISA decided to add due to research. Either way, 3/8" knife plates just don't pass the check for anything smaller than a 8.5mm thickness for 350MPa HSS and 300MPa plate, or 7.37mm for 350MPa HSS and plate.

Funnily enough, CIDECT's website does not allow you to download any design guides, all activity is on hold and has been that way for quite some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back