What are the benefits of Designing Composites with CATIA ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Znjmech

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2016
IT
Hi All

I'd like to know ,what are the benefits of designing Composite materials with CATIA composite materials if you don't end up with FEM analysis of the plys ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Do you mean benefits of 3D CATIA compared to other high-end 3DCAD software or 3D CATIA compared to 'traditional' 2D drawing definition?

If it's the latter the benefits can be considerable. They need to be to justify the considerable cost of the license (I've been told it's ~$25k/seat for Composite Workbench).

One of the benefits we realized quickest at our place is the downstream users were able to generate their deliverables much quicker. Specifically, the Gerber cutter can get ply shapes super fast and the laser-projection guy is able to define the required setup quickly as well. Within the design group we get more accurate estimate of weight for the finished panel (critical for space applications) and can foresee and deal with areas of producibility concern. Notably fewer tags from production thus far. Easily the best advantage is the ability to quickly revise models in response to a stack-up change demanded by stress group. We use 'grid design' methodology and it's a breeze to change ply boundary shapes and laminate stackups.

I found it hard to learn, though, and I can't imagine it'd be usable without proper training.

Gerber is not the only machine. I would say laser projector rather then laser machine. Projector is used for accurate plies lay-up and helps to get rid of any kind of fabric/core placement templates. We use CPM + third party software for laser projection file generation.

Regards,
Jenia Ladkov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back