Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What are your biggest frustrations about work? 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
For me sometimes I find that I dislike the rigid 40 hour week work schedule. I almost always work more hours (closer to 50), but the grind just gets to me at time.

I wish there was incentives for completing your work efficiently. As it is the work never stops. I leave many days wore out, unless I was smart enough to sneak in a quick lunch time workout.

It just seems like your day is shot pretty quickly, unless you are one of the lucky few that can get by on very little sleep.

Alas, don't expect any changes here in the US.

I often dream of the shorter work weeks and longer vacations that our European counterparts have.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EdDanzer:
According to what resources I can find, it's not illegal to require an X hour workweek as long as working less than X doesn't results in a penalty. It stinks since it's not written anywhere (my electronic time cards are based on 40 hours), it's just "expected" and "understood".

Erik

In Europe the question of working hours and pay is addressed by a thing called the "working time directive".

As i understand it, its main function is to reduce the GDP and make production even less competitive than before.

There is, i believe, an opt out: I successfully evaded the issue by not signing the requisite forms when it was introduced and presented to the workforce to sign; consequent on the usual efficiencies of large companies, the issue never raised itself again. Just as well as i never understood what was its intent (as opposed to its actual function)

JMW

I think the biggest contributor to poor morale is basic mistrust of employees--remember how we were supposed to be telecommuting by 2000? It never happened nor will a lot of workplace improvements occur until old bastards that run corporations start to trust their employees. Take a chance and encourage trust and see your productivity, turnover, and morale issues disappear!!

My own experience with employees would place the blame squarely on their shoulders. It seems the vast majority of employees will take every opportunity to goof off given any chance at all. Many view their companies as some sort of magical "golden goose" that will continue to provide them with a paycheck no matter how poor their efforts.

ludikris,
The US Fair Labor Standards Act does address hours worked. That is why Wal-Mart is in trouble.
Your employer cannot require you to work without compensation, even if you are salary.
If your time cards are based on 40 hours, then there is room for negations. Be sure to ask the person you are negotiation with if he knows how his hourly wage is diluted when working more hours, then show him how yours are.
Remember you were looking for a job when you found your current one!

Funnelguy, sadly you are right there are many poor employees who deserve the management they get. The biggest surprise in industry is that there is any kind of industry surviving despite the inept management and a workforce which among whom many leave a great deal to be desired.

Curiously, engineers don't seem to figure much in either group.
3_7_6.gif

JMW

Funnle guy,

Poor employees represent poor management.

When employees are not challenged in their job, directed toward the companies goals and rewarded for their efforts then what do you expect?

Managers salaries continue to rise while the guy that made it happen in the back cubicle is forgotten.

Better companies have direction and all the players are marching to the beat of the same drum. If some slackers can not keep up they are removed after being given oppurtunities to improve though job evaluations.

"The US Fair Labor Standards Act does address hours worked. That is why Wal-Mart is in trouble.
Your employer cannot require you to work without compensation, even if you are salary.
If your time cards are based on 40 hours, then there is room for negations. Be sure to ask the person you are negotiation with if he knows how his hourly wage is diluted when working more hours, then show him how yours are.
Remember you were looking for a job when you found your current one!"

The excuse around that is that we, the engineers are paid for 45 hours/week and thus, that's what our salary is based on. That appears to be the reason that my employer can get away with it.

What piques my interest is that when I pulled my detailed timecard data, it's based on 40 hours and shows 5 hours of premium time if I've worked 45 hours. It seems to me that on the books I'm a 40 hour employees, but verbally, I'm told its a 45 hour/week job and that's what I'm paid for. I haven't pursued this subject any further than water cooler talk, and doing so seems to me to be biting the hand that feeds me. I will research this subject more in my free time (HA!)

Erik

In Management Review yesterday was one of the most frustrating days at this two-bit operation I can remember.

Our Managers began a lean presentaion stating "anything other than parts is a waste". They went on to detail how much waste is involved with the Quality Department. So basically It seemed all of the tasks I have as a Quality Engineer from PPAP through ISO are a waste. Then he had the nerve to ask us for suggestions on how to reduce waste.

Without a thought I raised my hand and said I think we need self managed teams.

After this our Customer Service Manager had the results of our most recent customer survey which stated that the customers valued quality over all other aspects of our company and that we are exceeding their expectation.

Then to top it all off we had three customers in who stated we have done a complete turn around in quality over the last three years. I was hired three years ago

Hmmm What will they do when I'm gone due to lean????

They won't, management never learn. They just move up the tree to other jobs before they are found out.

"He who is convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

There is no logic to management.

Incidentally, quality improved as the result of a management initiative. It has nothing to do with you.

However, had quality not improved, you can bet management would have noticed you then.

JMW
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I am doing better than last year when at the ISO 9000:2000 recertification party The Executive Vice President in front of all the employees congradulated the Engineering Manager for writing all those documents. I was not even mentioned although it was my project as Management Representative for ISO.

My first ISO implementation upper management had a ISO flag raising ceremony and had the Production Manager both say a few words and raise the flag. He was not involved in any of the procedure or work instruction writing????? But I did get my Bonus!

I worked for a company where they decided they didn't need as many field sales engineers as they had.

Rather than make any-one redundant and payout big redundancy money they suddenly announced that in future the company would pay private mileage on company cars, not just business mileage. Sound generous? well since most used their own cars for private mileage the cost to the company was minimal but the sales guys were now faced with a huge increase in tax on this "perk". No amount of compaining could reverse the decision.

A short while later one of the field sales team quit, following which they "relented" and allowed everyone to revert to the old system.

Of course, some of these managment ideas backfire. Within a few months all but one of the field sales team and the sales manager had resigned. Now they are busy trying to recruit a new team. I wonder how much that wil cost them in agency fees, training, lost revenue etc?

Glad I'm out of there too.

JMW
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers

I got my reward for suggesting self managed teams they removed the documents control person and added that to my list of growing responsibilities.

RE: Labor Law (from my lawyer-friend who talked to a Labor Lawyer in his firm):

"Ok. Here is brief legal overview of labor law. If you fit within the three exempted employees that do not receive overtime, then they do not have to pay you. They are administrative, executive and professional. You would classify as a professional (most likely). Now if they base you salary on production, such as quality or quantity, then you would probably not fit within the exemption. Now, they cannot as an exempted employee, dock your pay if you show up a few minutes late (up to one full day). If they did then again you would probably not classify as an exempted employee.

With out knowing more, I cannot give you a specific answer. Do not construe this as legal advice, since I am only giving you a broad over view. I do not know enough to really tell you if you are or are not exempted. There are a lot of loopholes."

E-

My biggest frustration
I go to work in the morning like the rest.
Through the day I maintain a constant effort to get things
done.
I then leave at 5:00 like I should.
But I am cornered by managers who work 60+ hr/wk about
whether my project is all it could be since i leave every
day on time.
I then remind them of the time they spend small talking and
browsing the web and generally not applying themselves
during the work hours. They allready know that to be
succesfull you must appear to suffer long hours on the job.
Project results don't count for much just percieved effort.
Good work done in a 40 hr week is less valuable than
a poor result from 65 hr weeks

I understood that in Germany, it was felt that if you had to work long hours you were not doing your job well. The workload should be properly matched to the resources and hence you should not have to work longer.
Nice idea but is it effective?

PS I suggest that pointing out to management that they waste most of their day is not a good career move.

The simple answer is to make sure you have a laptop and tell them that you work at home. Also, when asked near the end of the normal working day for something, and you have it done already, say instead that you will let them have it in the morning and deliver it first thing when you arrive.

There is a down side to this. "Life imitates art". Pretty soon that laptop you take to and fro will suddenly start being used for work at home. Take care and stay in control.

Management weren't at the front of the queue when brains were handed out or they didn't remember to keep all the bug fixes current. A little subtelty will do no harm, a direct and honest answer that serves no value may be laudable but suicidal.

JMW
Eng-Tips: Pro bono publico, by engineers, for engineers.

The work long hours priniciple is present in almost every country. It is a show that in the end discourages efficiency. If you know you will be at work for so long, then you justify doing your shopping online and talking on message boards (like this one, although I consider this a work related site for many things!)

I used to work at a company that had flex time. Since I had a 1 hr commute each way, I decided to get in early. Inevitably as I tried to leave my boss would corner me. She was on the get in late, work late flex time schedule. It is very difficult to work a different schedule than your boss and thrive!

In my opinion, any engineer who designs stuff for more than 55 hours in one week will get more done if he/she limits the work week to 45 hrs.

It's a fact.

tg

Hopping in late...my gripes:

1. Being at the top of the pile in technical knowledge (not that I know that much; the rest of them just know less) while being at the bottom of the pile in seniority and authority.

2. Incompetent co-workers that everyone knows are incompetent but that management does nothing about.

2A. Incompetent co-workers that management treats badly in reprisal without any formal accusations, so said co-workers think they're being treated unjustly, so now I'm dealing with someone who is not only incompetent but disgruntled.

3. Boss who was hired for management and not for engineering and who wasn't given the time to catch up on the tech side, and who really hasn't been given the time to manage us because he still has all the tasks he had before he became manager--and who doesn't seem to have a problem with this.

4. Admin and computer people who, not being "core function", feel the need to establish their importance by throwing their weight around, looking for ways to say "no" instead of looking for ways to say "yes", and generally treating us all like criminals who are trying to get away with something instead of providing us with a service.

5. Occasional lack of backup from supierors, or outright pulling the rug out from under me.

6. Superiors operating on a "need to know" basis for no good reason.

My boss is well aware of all of the above (I don't keep much to myself). (And this is a public forum.)

My first boss was wonderful. He approached every task as a learning experience for me, and he knew his stuff. My job was built around my skills. He created amazing opportunities for me. I miss him.

Now I'm a little stuck, because for all my complaints, I've still built myself a nice little niche, which doesn't transfer elsewhere very well. And yet I can't take dealing with people I don't have enough respect for, and I also really want to live in a different part of the country.

A wishful thinking gripe:
I am a night person. Left to my own devices my bedtime migrates to around 6 AM. No one seems inclined to let me work, say, 1-6 PM and then 2-5 AM--especially not in my government job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back