Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what could happen with a P91 pipe and welds on service without PWHT 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduardo1982

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2014
CL
Dear guys.
I know it is a crazy question, but what could happens with a P91 pipe and welds on steam service what is working under pressure and without PWHT? Even if it is a temporal pipe (and probably it can be used for a couple of weeks on use) are there any "method" to follow to assure that those welds can work without damage or rupture?
My apologies if this forum is not the correct one for my crazy question.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a strange way this research may find a new use.
With more effort going into waste reduction and resource recovery there are plants that do waste-to-energy and also try to recover useful components of the residue.
Face it, this plant would not need to generate any net power, but it could use every bit generated for carbon capture and metals reclamation.
I am sure that there will be other wild high temp schemes out there as well.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Couldn’t agree more. That’s exactly the scope of work of my employer; new, emerging technologies. Although the pressure/temperature combinations we see don’t match those of (A)USC units, temperature and other challenges (corrosion) are definitely in the same range and even much further.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

MJ,

How much has the US gov't spent on research for coal gasification and syngas in five decades? It was the Next Big Thing back in the day.

Trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse is hard ...

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

A process to make hydrogen from coal and leave the C solid has some potential.
Everything gets recycled.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

A really fun video about the practical difficulties of P91 material repair can be found here.

This relates to HRSGS in America's ever growing stable of Combined Cycle Power Plants ... not coal plants

( Yes, I know that the speaker drones on and on..)

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back