Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does L.P.F.T stand ford in pressure Vessel mechanical Data sh 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac10

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2004
ES

Hi !

In a mechanical data sheet for pressure vessels under the heading “DESIGN CONDITION” immediately below the M.D.M.T. (minimum design metal temperature) is written L.P.F.T. It seems it is a temperature, but what temperature?

Thanks in advance for the usual support.

MAC10.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

not sure, perhaps lowest predicted fluid temperature, but in any xase , it probably deals with the minimum temperature for which the vessel and its welds are considered to be ductile and to have sufficient toughness for operation.

Did you check with the manufacturer or designer of the vessel? For ASME Section VIII, Div 1 pressure vessels Forms U-1,U-1A, U-2,U-2A and U-3 Data Reports, require minimum design metal temperature (MDMT) as the only service temperature information required for design and certification of the vessel. There can be no lower predicted temperature regardless of fluid service conditions.

I do agree that the lowest temperature to stamp the vessel is the M.D.M.T., I have not doubt about that. In any case the “lowest predicted fluid temperature” or any other temperature shall be above the MDMT in order to stamp the vessel according to the Code.

My question was the about the exact meaning of L.P.F.T., I thought it could be “lowest process fluid temperature”. Does anybody has any other possible answer?. I was hoping to find someone who was quite familiar with terminology? In the usual pressure vessel argot, that I know of, the L.P.F.T is not common, as are for example: MDMT or MAWP

Mac10

It is harly used but I have seen it as: lowest possible fluid temperature in a tank. It is most used in design conditions (paper) and not in name plates, it is not required by the Code.
ER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back