Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What else could you do? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechmama

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2007
US
Just for fun, what else could/would you do if you left your engineering job? Or if your engineering job disappeared?

Of course there are the obvious alternative choices like project management, engineering management, technical writing,"consulting", etc., but what else would you like to try?

I know one guy who started a home insepction business, and our former marketing department manager was a registered PE. Then there is the software "engineer" I know who was a waiter after a layoff.

I think in another life, I would like to do something in education, maybe high school administration or a post-secondary training school. I see so many people making stupid choices, and I guess I sometimes feel inspired to help them. . .then I remember that I chose engineering to avoid all those people. . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not a sales associate in a drugstore, that's for sure, been there done that while waiting for this position to turn up.

Maybe a Rugby coach, I wasn't any good but I enjoyed playing and would enjoy inflicting all the tortuous drills on eager youngsters.

"Time to improve foot work/speed, this will be achieved by trying to stamp on each others feet while wearing your boots and trying to avoid being stamped on, if you forgot your boots and only have sneakers/trainers, then you better be the fastest"

Good times. (For anyone unfamiliar with Rugby boots they have metal studs on the bottom, 1/2 to 3/4 inch long depending on anticipated playing conditions.)

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I read somewhere that stupid rich people will pay a "vacation planner" to scout out a vacation location. Make sure the accommodations are acceptable, try all the restaurants and clubs and recommend the best ones, ensure that the rental yacht and hookers are clean, stuff like that.

I could do that.

Nanny.

As a one man engineering company for residential homes, I deal with:
- mad architects
- building designers who mix up the floor levels
- home owners/builders who want it all, want it now, and want it for free
- contractors who tell the builder they have to go to Home Depot to buy materials (and charge for the time), while they actually spent a couple of hours at a table dance establishment
- construction workers who want to show up at 10 am, party to 2 pm, and then try to find somebody to sign off for 27 hours per day

Yes, I think I am qualified as a Nanny

Archaeologist.

Im a civil engineer. That means I like digging, ever since I was a young boy.

Archaeologists get to dig holes as well, but instead of putting stuff in they take stuff out.

I'd like to be my physics teacher in high school.

Without wishing to sound like an ingrate, I think I could do a better job technically (free body diagrams, and electronics, in particular).

But I doubt I could ever enthuse a bunch of kids quite like he did. Yay Mr Albert Rowse.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Some of my thoughts over the years:

Go back to school for my JD to become a patent attorney (thought about doing this anyways)
Get back into architecture
I really, really want to get back into a mechanical position. I am sick of designing plastic parts and yearn for gears.

My dream would be to write novels. Someday I will start and use my engineering salary to supplement the money I will not get from writing ;)

HgTX,

According to some people, I have all the key attributes, strong hands, an eye for aesthetics, good dexterity for handling hot wax and a certain ruthlessness that gives me courage, even glee, in the face of the agonized cries of my victim....errrrr......I mean, client.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

I heard that if you are a structural guy going back to an architectural school, your knowledge of structural engineering will hinder your creativity toward architectural design. :)

I guess what they are saying is, you would not be using too much cantilevered structure, leaning columns, and you always try to line up all of the loads!

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

What, you mean you create buildings that better comply with the fundamental laws of physics, terrible.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I would open and be the host in a tiki bar, close to the beach. I'd leave the bar tending and cooking to people that knew what they were doing.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the be

I'd look at moving into Law Enforcement, either local or Federal, as that's something I've seriously looked at doing as an alternative to Engineering (and the amount of overtime incurred would help to make up for the pay differential). I've also spent a few years doing shooting and Krav Maga/Self Defense, so getting qualified as an instructor in either of those would be great if I could eventually open my own school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back