Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What else could you do? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechmama

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2007
US
Just for fun, what else could/would you do if you left your engineering job? Or if your engineering job disappeared?

Of course there are the obvious alternative choices like project management, engineering management, technical writing,"consulting", etc., but what else would you like to try?

I know one guy who started a home insepction business, and our former marketing department manager was a registered PE. Then there is the software "engineer" I know who was a waiter after a layoff.

I think in another life, I would like to do something in education, maybe high school administration or a post-secondary training school. I see so many people making stupid choices, and I guess I sometimes feel inspired to help them. . .then I remember that I chose engineering to avoid all those people. . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's what they have editors/proof readers for right? (Just like the reason they have checkers is so they can throw a load of %$#%^@#$ down on the page and I'll sort it all out for them.)

Plus I won't do it in Engtips editor. I'll cut and paste it all to word. At least then the spelling will be correct, possibly the wrong word but hey you can't have everything.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

If you are not sure what you would do if you weren't an engineer this site can help.
It has a neat link to a myers briggs type personality test and explanations of the personality types.
an excerpt from my description:

The INTJ's combination of analytical problem-solving skills and complete and utter disregard for the morality or consequences of his actions also make him ideal for the job of hatchet man, CIA operative, and helpdesk operator.

BTW, my eng-tips editor has a spell check, I thought it was part of the site but maybe it is part of the new Firefox browser.

Kenet,

I have copyright on all posts I have issued to the general populace and for a small nominal fee (circa, 98% of all revenues), I would be more than happy to let you use some of my pithy compositions

Kevin

“It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class." ~Author Unknown

"If two wrongs don't make a right, try three." ~Author Unknown

98%, bargain. Then again, I checked your profile and you have less stars than I. Maybe I'll forgo your content and keep all the millions for myself;-).

Yes, Kenat, but you have to look at quality too. prohammy has 0.080 stars per reply, where you have only 0.056. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I'm running at 0.191 stars per reply - of course that number will fall a little since I doubt this reply warrants a star!

If you "heard" it on the internet, it's guilty until proven innocent. - DCS

What can I say, I go for the shotgun approach, throw enough out there and something will hit, right;-).

Anyway, anyone familiar with my career path so far would know how much of a joke me writing that book would be.

In that case Prohammy and I should team up, his quality & my quantity combined with our awesome comedic talents...

Funny thing is I actually thought of doing the same thing as swearingen did but thought it a bit OTT. Story of my life, like Dans dad on Roseanne "I was this close...".

Darn, I just realized, another pointless reply and almost certainly no stars for it, I'm getting worse:-(.

I would:
Help my wife sell AVON
Grow a garden
Practice Kung Fu until I became good enough to teach, then teach Kung Fu.
Start Fight Club j/k.

I've tutored math/physics/chemistry since high school and enjoy teaching. I'd probably go that route.

In dream world, I'd be a race driver, then a high performance driving instructor.

Our office track-days will just have to suffice...

If you "heard" it on the internet, it's guilty until proven innocent. - DCS

I'd go into movie production. When the university I attended hosted the regional steel bridge competition I made a short movie about the competition and it turned out surpisingly well, and it was kinda fun.

Cass, not full time belly dancing?
Here is another exponent of the art, this one gave up her science career for teaching belly dancing:

Me? well, I don't know, I guess I'd laze around full time except that with a significant other, there is no such thing as being allowed to laze.
Are we required by the OP to be able to make a living at our alternative occupations? If so... bus or train driver, they get more money but I'd go nuts doing either job.

Maybe some kind of restoration work.

JMW

I would probably end up at a bullet manufacturer testing new designs, in addition to becoming a professional hunter, ridding the western US of prairie dogs and ground squirrels. I like hitting things from quite a long ways away.

All for a nominal fee, of course.

I'd love to return to competitive international smallbore and air rifle competition. I'm fairly confident that if I shot full time as I once did, I'd be able to make the U.S. team and live/train out in Colorado Springs. The athletes living there are required only to have a part time job, and all other living expenses are covered. Not to mention that the Olympic Training Center has some of, if not the, best food I've ever had, and the chef will make you whatever you want if it's not already out.

Realistically, I'd end up doing racecar chassis fabrication, which is what I did prior to entering the welding engineering field.

jmw,

I always thought of sentencing someone to being showered in alcohol, with a cake of salt instead of a cake of soap, and receiving a vigorous scrubbing with #40 grit sandpaper. That might be appropriate for a few unpaid parking tickets. Spammers, hackers and my ultimate favorite, the identity thief, would receive a stiffer sentence.

Mr. 168: A buddy of time did that (shoot smallbore rifles for the Olympic team) in Colordo Springs for a time. He beat the world record numerous times while not in competition but never could do it in competition - his nerves just got to him. He was down there for about two years until he returned to Montana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back