Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What in the World is Going On Here? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

swearingen

Civil/Environmental
Feb 15, 2006
US
These two pictures were taken by a coworker while in Las Vegas on vacation. It appears that the entire steel frame of a 3 story building has been constructed on a story of scaffolding with a wood floor. Can someone please enlighten me on why this is done and what will happen next in the construction sequence? I'm just baffled on what is going on here and why it would be done this way.

1_rwzluc.jpg
2_ah96ef.jpg

-5^2 = -25 ;-)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe it'll be supported by sky hooks.

Is that formwork at the first elevated level? Maybe they'll cast a slab to support everything above. That seems weird, though, and I would expect to see formwork for concrete columns. Maybe that'll be installed next.

I was thinking the same thing about pouring some sort of concrete foundation, but that raises all sorts of questions: why not pour the concrete first (as practically every other structure has done)? Are you going to encase your scaffolding columns? What about the scaffolding joists that tie into them when adding reinforcement and forms? Seems like a massive headache.

-5^2 = -25 ;-)

DaveAtkins,

Look closely - the upper floors are all steel, and the bottom floor is scaffolding. If it was to be wood frame, wouldn't the lower floor already be framed up? Also, if you needed portal frames, isn't the greatest need for them at the lower floor? I just can't fathom why you would build a steel building on a complete floor of scaffolding. One of the engineers in my company suggested that they may be pre-fabbing it to move it elsewhere. Maybe so, but how will it be moved? The scaffolding appears to be in the way of any type of SPMT transport and it doesn't seem very likely that a crane will be lifting the entire structure.

This is one of those things where the more I look at it, the more I get confused...

-5^2 = -25 ;-)

This is truly bizarre. I can't think of any really good reason why it would be done this way.

My thoughts:
a) Transportation: Sure, if there is a site nearby that has limited access for some reason, they could transport this over to it and attach it down. This sort of thing has been done before. But, it's pretty rare. This is in Las Vegas. Maybe the building is meant for a tourist area on or near the LV strip and the big issue is that they can't shut down that area while under construction.

b) Reverse construction: I recall seeing some weird video (of real construction) where the upper floor was done first. Then they started excavating the floor below. Essentially, they start with a ground floor, then excavate down and build floors below it. Maybe they're preparing for something like this? Though I still would have thought they'd have done all that work first. Before adding those two elevated floors.

c) Could there be a reason to add in wood or concrete shear walls on the lower floor AFTER the rest of the building has been constructed? This is what I'm leaning towards, but I can't think of a good reason why they would do this. Maybe a concrete curing issue related to the hot dry weather and they want the majority of the construction to be done before they enter into the season when concrete curing would be more permissible.

I think Josh may be onto something with 'c'. A quick google search indicates that Las Vegas' busiest time of year is November through January. And 100[sup]o[/sup]F+ and dry weather is not great for pouring concrete. Get the superstructure up now, and then as soon as the weather is good enough pour the concrete. They can be done by November and have the building open in time for tourists to get there.

phamENG said:
Get the superstructure up now, and then as soon as the weather is good enough pour the concrete

If that's the case, they're going to have a fun time pouring the concrete, or tilting steel to achieve any sort of bearing conditions for the existing structure above.

I can't tell from the photo... are there any dowels coming up from that existing slab/foundation?

I don't think there is an existing slab/foundation. I think they're waiting to pour it. Seems absolutely crazy to me, but hey....different strokes for different folks. Maybe that's a thing in the desert?

As is the case with lots of 'pre-engineered' buildings, the superstructure was designed first, and they are still waiting for the rest of the design. But got to push ahead with construction. An extreme example of modern construction stupidity.

But that is not all scaffolding. I see some steel trusses, and those yellow columns may be part of the final structure.

Those look like peri props to me hokie66 in which case they are not likely part of the final design (though maybe?). I noticed the trusses as well but if they are using peri maybe they went with the VRB heavy-duty peri trusses. Colour seems a bit off though for those. Peri systems really pop and those look dull as all heck.

In any case this is really cool.

My fear is that some architect thought that having a scaffold-like base floor would be so awesomely cool and trendy - just like Mies Van Der Rohe!

Looks like an open structure that has no cladding. Maybe it’s modular pre construction for their new baseball stadium, although I’m not even sure that’s been approved yet. I’m so curious now

Interesting. I wonder if these are part of the upcoming F1 race there? They look similar to a lot of F1 paddock buildings or VIP-type corporate boxes, especially with the large balconies (including the roof).

If so, they truly could be temporary buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back