Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a "phase angle" in a mechanical drawing? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

amrbekhit

Electrical
Mar 20, 2008
GB
Hi all,

The following mechanical drawing is for a pressure sensor and recommends a 19mm hole with a 20 degree phase for mounting. What does a 20 degree phase mean?

chrome_2016-10-06_15-44-28_nyqqtz.png

Thanks,

Amr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey Mikey, this thing's sold in Germany - what's the German word for chamfer?

Doug, I think it's fase.

Thanks Mikey - phase it is.

Thanks for the responses everyone, that clears it up!

@Jboggs: Because interestingly enough, I get quicker responses on the forum!

Are you sure? Looking at this I think the 20 degree "phase" is in fact the taper of the 19mm hole.

This thing looks like some sort of push fit?

The plug at the base is only 3mm deep with an OD of 18.4mm

does the phase refer to the final taper angle to stop this thing going all the way through the hole?

I think it's difficult because we only have one little bit of the drawing.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Ok, but where in the hole is the chamfer / bevel?

This is a very exact hole, 19mm + 0.033mm, - 0mm (H8)

Or in the attached do you think it is the angle marked 15 to 30o on the top left?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dd3f414a-9791-4088-887d-b8b2a9591471&file=Fitting-of-Cylindrical-and-Flanged-Bushings.jpg
At this point I think, it is just a chamfer at the entrance of the hole that you insert that sensor into to prevent the O-ring to be sheared off as you insert it.

Just a 20 deg chamfer (or bevel) at the start of the 19H8 required mounting hole is recommended for ease of assembly. Just break the corner on the mounting hole and make sure there is no burr.
Using the word "Phase" instead of "Fase" is a translating error. The word "Phase" can have many different meanings in German. Anywhere from a period of time to electricity. That is why one should be very careful when using computer translations for technical terminology. The will kill you. In this case the correct word "Fase" -chamfer or bevel is pretty obvious.

What's the point of a drawing if one believes they have to call the manufacturer to clarify everything and have them explain it to you?

I think it's pretty clear.

The axial location and radial dimension of the 20deg (per side) chamfer are important, but no definition is provided in the sketch. The radial dimension of the chamfer needs to be at least large enough to guide the free state o-ring during installation without causing damage. The axial location of the chamfer should ensure the o-ring never passes beyond its inner edge under all operating conditions, which could cause a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back