Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is required to operate as an independent consultant? 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

livewire9

Structural
Aug 4, 2010
US
I've been doing a little work on the side recently and next year will have worked for others (owners/managers) for 15 years. I feel pretty good about my skill set and potential as a business owner. I'm thinking of making a leap of faith and try to develop my own consulting practice.

I have already filed a PLLC and have it Registered as an Engineering Firm with the State Board. What more is required to operate legally as a Structural Engineer? Insurance? Anything more?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, glass99. You are right though. It is a smallish downtown city in the DFW metroplex so I have thought of that. I was half joking, half getting ahead of myself. Though the boss can be rough and the weekly grind just that, I plan to hold onto the steady income for some time until I've got return clientele. I started this process at the beginning of 2017 with the creation of a PLLC and a first client that flaked out. So, for a guy without a trust fund and no real savings to speak of I figure it may take several more years before I can confidently cut the cord and fly on my own.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback and encouragement guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back