Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best biomedical material for a spring implant? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakan Alhourani

Bioengineer
Nov 5, 2019
US
HI,

I am developing a spring designed to be used in direct connection with the eye.
What are the biomedical materials that I can use for a spring (biocompatible and non-magnetic material)

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Elgiloy or Phynox CoCr-based alloy with a high E modulus and excellent corrosion resistance. they are biocompatible and non-magnetic as well.

Kinda.
Maybe MP35N (ASTM F562) and L650(astm f90) are more commonly used for stents, these two alloys can also been used for spring.
Elgiloy could also be used for Cardiovascular Stents, but in terms of spring, this maybe the best. due to that, it is also very popular in watchmaking industry.

Could I use Ti 64 ELI OR SS 316LVM OR NiTinol SE 508? Please tell me which material is the best considering long life span expectancy for spring and considering biocompatibility. And what is the difference between SS 316L and SS 316LVM?

Titanium has less than half of modulus, and lower strength level. in 316LVM, L is for low carbon, VM seems to stand for vacuum melted. we treat AOD + ERS and AOD + VAR or VIM+VAR re-melted low carbon (<.03%) 316 as 316LVM. For implant applications, cleanliness is critical, you cannot use ARC melted 316L for that purpose.

MagBen

I appreciate your help!

I will go with your advice (Elgiloy CoCr-based alloy), but I need to know if the surface is going to be sticky or slippery? I need it to be slippery because the spring will be kept sliding.

Please could I contact you at your email for further details? feel free to contact me at rejalhourani@gmail.com.

Thank you!

You can ask for a polished surface, or even specify a max surface roughness. For "sticky", you could ask for a glass bead texturized surface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back